one hundred ninety four

Start from the beginning

"Where do you think you're going, hm?" Lauren presses Camila back against the car, trapping her on either side with her hands. Camila snakes her hands up Lauren's front, resting them on her shoulders and tracing patterns into the hairs on the back of her neck.

"I don't know. I'm glad you stopped me before I strayed too far." Camila shoots back flirtatiously, biting her bottom lip as her eyes flick down to Lauren's.

They meet halfway, both of them leaning in at the same time. Lauren can taste the popcorn and cherry soda on Camila's lips and it's sweet and buttery and soft and god Lauren is so glad this girl agreed to go out with her and is kissing her because lord knows she wouldn't be able to take the sexual frustration otherwise.

The kiss ends far too soon for Lauren's liking, but they stay where they are together leaning against the side of Lauren's car. Camila lifts her gaze to the stars glowing in the midnight sky, a thoughtful look on her face.

"Lauren?" She speaks, though her eyes stay zoned in above.

"Yeah, babygirl?" Lauren hums, tucking her face into Camila's neck and breathing in her perfume.

"Do you think we'll make it?"

Lauren doesn't mean to tense up. She doesn't mean to not respond either, it's just that Camila's question catches her off guard, and when things surprise her, it never turns out good.

"Never mind, you don't have to answer. Let's just go inside and—"

"Yes."

"Huh?" Camila pushes Lauren back so that she can look into her eyes, confusion leaking onto her face as her brows furrow together and her brown eyes search Lauren's green ones.

"Yes, I think we'll make it." Lauren's smile is small yet adorable, the soft expression on her face indicating to Camila that yes, Lauren means what she's saying and holy shit, she has a shot to be happy with Lauren.

"Really?"

"Yeah." Lauren nods quickly. "I know it's only our second date, but I've felt an unwavering connection to you for what feels like so long now that I have no doubts. You're beautiful, and cute, and kind, and wonderful, and now that I have a taste of being with you I can't really picture my life without you anymore. I really like you, Camila, and I hope that you really like me too because if you don't, this would be really awkwa—"

Camila cuts her off by planting a gentle kiss to Lauren's cheek, dropping her arms from Lauren's shoulders to grab her hand. "I really like you, too."

Lauren lets a smile light up her face at the memory as they climb the front steps to the porch.

Once they've finished packing all the boxes into Lauren's car, she says goodbye to her family (including Taylor, who'd driven back to Miami with them so she could get ready for her own move with their father and brother) and they hit the road. Camila insists on driving since Lauren drove them there early in the morning.

She isn't sure when Lauren falls asleep, but before she knows it, they're at a stoplight, and when she glances at Lauren her eyes are closed and her forehead is leaning against the chilly glass of the window. Camila smiles to herself, returning her gaze to the road.