The point was, that was a long time ago and wasn't worth remembering if the present was bleak.

Cut that out. Nothing is bleak. Sure, he's running off to the ER for another week after two weeks of an emergency trip to Milan, but nothing is bleak.

"When does your shift end?" you ask to no one in particular when you hear the staffroom door close. You're currently running on your third year at Starbucks, so it only takes a second to recognize the sound of every coworker's footsteps.

It turns out to be Yugyeom, a high school student who usually takes care of night shifts. He eyes you for a moment, rubbing his wrist wordlessly before tossing a dishcloth onto the counter. "Till 9, then Seulgi takes over. Why?"

The nineteen-year old is rather mature for his age, and he knows better than to poke in a business that isn't his. But Yugyeom is well updated on your current situation and the excuse of a relationship you share with your husband.

You suck in a breath as you absentmindedly scroll through your messages, sounding as deadpan as possible. "Jin's coming back home, and I have to pack his bags and make dinner."

"Oh, wow." You don't even have to look up to know that Yugyeom's rolling his eyes. "Where's he going?"

"He didn't say. . .he just texted me saying he'd be back home to pick it up. I guess they received new schedules now."

"No offense but is a surgeon even supposed to travel that much?" When you spare him a questionable glance, he shrugs. "I mean, I'd get it if he were a CEO or something. But he's only a doctor."

"And head of a surgical department as well as PH.D in training," you can't help but correct him, even if he does have a valid point.

Still, you'll always be proud of your husband's achievements, all the while getting shoved in the corner.

"Okay, and your point is? You're making this worse." Yugyeom sighs and resumes wiping the counter. His apron is untied and hanging on his lanky frame for dear life. You always nag at the boy to let loose and attend more frat parties instead of collecting extra shifts, but living expenses in this part of Seoul are ridiculously expensive. If it isn't for Jin's income, you would've been in Yugyeom's shoes too.

You don't want to admit it, but that's also another reason why you're not calling it quits with Jin yet.

Even a dumbass would choose to stay in a one-sided marriage than go back to square one again.

First of all, this isn't one-sided. So shut up.

"So I was asking about your shift because I was wondering if you're willing to extend int to cover mine? I'll let you have whatever I'd get out of it. Actually," you amend. "You can have my paycheck this week."

This catches his attention as Yugyeom looks up from his cleaning with wide eyes. "Are you serious?"

"Sure," you say. "You covered for me and Lalisa twice this week. It's basically your call."

"Yeah, but --"

"Just let Chanyeol know that I gave you permission. I'll write it down if I have to." The polka-dotted clock reads 7:50, meaning you have to go in case you want things done on time. "If he throws a fit, put me on speed dial."

You start collecting your things, including a purse that's far different from the worn down knapsack you usually carry. Even Yugyeom notices it.

"Wait. What is that?" He pokes a finger towards your bag.

You give a non comical shrug. "Givenchy. Jin gave it for our fifth anniversary." You didn't plan to say this, but the words slip out of your mouth. "It costed two grand."

Despite Yugyeom not being anything but your junior coworker, the distaste in his expression concerns you. Working with him for so long now has you waiting for his approval before anyone else's.

He casually glances away from your designer bag and clears his throat. "You should get going, Noona. I'll see you tomorrow. You're coming in the morning, right?"

"It depends," you chew your bottom lip. Seokjin didn't clarify how long he'd be home for, even if it was just to pack and have dinner. "If Jin leaves by tonight, then I'll probably fill in for a couple hours before joining Yongsun at the bakery."

"One more thing," Yugyeom quickly adds. He's staring at you with such peculiarity, you itch to question his behavior. "Why are you even working if Seokjin hyung is so successful? Forget about two jobs."

A smile tugs at the end of your lips at his innocent question. It's a question asked on a daily basis and by many people, including both your managers, so no offense taken.

"Honestly, I don't need the pay," you admit. "But I do need something to do. Sitting still and looking pretty isn't as glamorous as it sounds, Yug. Anyways, I'm out. Wish me luck 'cause I haven't cooked Jin's favorite in a while."

Which is funny, because you know every recipe by heart.

anGST i love angst and agony