December 31, 1970

Começar do início

Silence, and a cold breeze through his hair. Jonathan nervously scratched at the back of his neck. "I'm not sorry, Nadjia!"

A twig snapped to the left of him, and Jonathan dodged fast as he could, turning sharply to the right, ducking, dropping onto his knees below Nadjia's open palm.

He rose from his knees back to his feet to turn and run, and ran right back into Nadjia's open palm. Jonathan saw stars, and fell on his rump, holding his stinging cheek. Slowly the sting turned to uncomfortable warmth, and gradually spread out across his face.

Jonathan fought back tears. "Ouch."

"Tag." Nadjia laughed. "You're it."

Jonathan groaned. "Ugh. So what? You've still got my germs."

Nadjia narrowed her eyes, her blue eyed gaze as cold as the night's air. She swatted at him, half playfully, half angry. He ducked the first swat, and rolled away from the second. Nadjia chased him, and in moments he was on his feet again, running, ducking, rolling, and dodging her.

"Admit it!" Her voice echoed toward him, between heavy breathes.

"Never!"

"You're cheating, Jonathan! Admit you're it!"

"Fine!" Jonathan looked behind, over his shoulder, and dug his heals into the loose, frost covered earth. He twisted his body, turning onto a knee, and ducking low. He felt the crunch of old pine needles, and frozen mulch in his hands as he dug his fingers into the ground, skidding along his former path until he slowed to a stop.

Jonathan looked up from the messy trail he created, his eyes bright green in the cold night, pupils dilated large in the dark, drinking Nadjia in.

Nadjia, still in mid chase began back peddling, sliding along her heels like an off balance speed skater, moving stiffly along her trajectory toward Jonathan. She swung her arms in large circles trying to keep her balance, but to no avail, and she came skidding to a halt on her bottom until she was only a few feet from Jonathan.

"I'm it." Jonathan whispered, and stood on his feet. He offered Nadjia a hand. Wide eyed, Nadjia accepted his hand.

"Nadj?"

"You've never called me Nadj before..."

"Huh." Jonathan pulled Nadjia to her feet.

"No one's ever called me Nadj..."

"Do you like it?"

Nadjia felt herself hefted to her feet, but it did not matter. She found herself lost in his eyes again. "I do."

"Good." Jonathan smiled, showing teeth. His were straight, white, an even though they were not all pointed, somehow they were. Or they seemed like it. "Nadj?"

"Yes?"

"I'm it... but you still have my germs. Also..." He patted the top of her head. "Tag. You're it."

Nadjia felt her cheeks flush.

✟ ☧ ✟

Nadjia screamed in his face, pushed him hard in the chest, and ran.

That was a little while ago.

Too long ago, for a little while, but not so long that he needed to tell an adult.

Not yet.

Frosty mist rose from the ground now, a crystalline fog that shimmered from the park lights that felt like they were forever away. Closer perhaps than he realized, or maybe farther away than he judged was safe.