32

UCLA

The win-party is on, and the whole campus is there celebrating with them. 

As the girls are enjoying their party, alcohol floating in their veins and everything, Mal and Rachel are sitting down at the bar, drinking whiskey. The Brit has her eyes on the crowd, and suddenly spots something curious. 

She looks at Mal, before pointing somewhere. 

"Aren't Gibbay and Sonnett very close ?" she asks, raising her eyebrow.

Once Mal spots them, she has to admit they're laughing together, hugging each other all the time, which never happened before. 

The forward only says : 

"They're falling for each other slowly, that's cute." 

"Speaking of falling" Rachel lets out, nervous. "I think I might as Mads out."

The keeper being on that dance-floor with the youngsters means she can't hear anything the girls are saying. Right after she said that, Rachel starts blushing, and Mal smirks : she doesn't want her friend to feel uncomfortable.

So she only says :

"How do you plan on doing it ?"

Rachel frowns. 

"Just... ask her a simple question ?"

"We both know you'll panic and forget the words, and then ask a stupid question and you guys won't go out" Mal lets out, rolling her eyes, as Rachel pretends to be offended by everything she said. "You should leave a note somewhere."

"Right. Thanks."

"Sure."

*

Kassey and Kristie are walking back to the girl's dorm hand in hand, laughing their asses off at everything because they are drunk. 

After a few minutes, Kristie almost falls, and Kassey is here to catch her. That makes the middy burst into laughter, as Kassey just raises her eyebrow.

The defender shakes her head.

"What's wrong with you ? You're so weird sometimes..." she jokes.

Realizing that Kassey does have concern in her eyes after all, Kristie says :

"Nothing ! It's just that, the two last times I was drunk, I got either drugged, or saved by you. That's the difference you make in my life."

"Saving your ass from being expelled ?" Kassey asks, confused.

"You prevent certain things to happen to me, and that's a first." 

This time, Kassey cracks a smile, before pulling Kristie closer by putting a hand in the hollow of her back. Kristie looks down at her lips, but doesn't crack. 

The defender then smirks. 

"I will walk you to your dorm" she settles.

Kristie smiles. 

"So thoughtful of you. But you can't escape me tonight, because you're looking beautiful and hot" 

"Are you sure ?" Kassey asks, shaking her head. "You are exhausted, and tomorrow we have an important training in order to prepare for the finale that is in less than five days. So maybe we could just cuddle while you fall asleep ?"

Kristie sighs : of course Kassey's right. As a captain, Kristie must lead the example. 

"Sounds good" she mutters. 

Kassey kisses her cheeks, before pecking her lips.

"C'mon."

*

The next morning, the first person to reach the training facilities is Gibby, only accompanied by her sunglasses and huge glass of water to avoid the hangover - or more like avoid it to be seen by her teammates. 

She sits down on the grass, drinking her water, when someone sits down next to her. She almost chokes on her drink when she realizes it's Becky Sauerbrunn. 

"Hey, I needed to talk to you" the older girl says, smiling. 

The thing is that, even though Gibby has played with Becky before, the defender remains her hero on so many levels, and it's hard for her to keep her composure. But since she's a great actor, she just pretends like it's no big deal.

So she smiles and says : 

"Sure ?"

"I know you're only a Junior, and finishing your story is the most important thing at the moment." Becky carefully starts, before smiling. "But my coach at Kansas City said that if you were willing to join the team once your senior year is over, you're welcome with open arms."

"Wait, so-"

"Yes, it does mean that you already have a NWSL team. They are willing to make some trades regarding to the draft picks to make sure and pick you. What do you say ?"

Playing with Becky Sauerbrunn and Yael Averbuch during my first year of professional career ? Hell yes

The brunette is ecstatic. 

"I say : they better start trading draft picks because the Gobbler is about to come and rock their world" she jokes, and that makes Becky smile. 

"I will tell them, then." the former Bruin says, smiling. Afterwards, she just starts frowning and says : "Just make sure you get your diploma next year."

"Count on me !"