28

After the tensed meeting during which their plan was revealed, Lindsey quickly exits the room : she wants to let her teammates breath, because it might feel to them as if she betrayed them or kept things away from them. 

But she is not alone for long, because she hears someone running after her. When she turns around and sees Megan, out of breath, finally be leveled-up, she sighs. 

"Look, Megan, I'm sorry I left, but..."

"Shut up and let me speak" the blonde orders in a serious tone. 

The middy is about to ask her why she feels like interrupting her in the middle of a sentence, but when she sees how determined the blonde is, she shuts up.

So the defender says : 

"I don't care what you excuses are, even though they're good because you're about to save that team from Harris, but we need to talk about that argument we had."

"What about it ?" Lindsey asks, smirking. "You didn't seem pretty happy to talk that night."

Megan tries to keep her calm here. 

"Listen..."

"No, you listen, okay ?" Lindsey insists, not ready to feel like shit again. Megan is angry but respects the brunette's demand, as she continues : "I know you don't want to let down Kailen, and I respect that decision. I respect her, she was an amazing person for you. But you don't get to come closer to me when you want, and then use that excuse to deny your feelings. Because I know there are feelings, Megan. At least I have some, so don't play with me and with them."

"Linds-"

"I'm not finished" the brunette says in a slow tone, shaking her head. "What I wanted you to understand is that we're not playing that game anymore : I can't be with you if you're haunted by her memory, Meggy. Even though I want that more than anything else."

"But, what if-"

Lindsey sighs.

"Now is not the right time..." she then whispers, staring right into Megan's eyes. "That's all. We can't do this together for now."

"Lindsey, I-"

"I'm sorry, Meggy. I'm here as your friend, but nothing more..."

"We can't be friends." 

The blonde's response shocks Lindsey, who just stands here without saying anything for thirty seconds, as Megan is glaring at her as well with the exact same intensity. The middy shakes her head. 

But Megan finishes what she has to say : 

"Not when I have feelings for you."

With that said, she gets on her toes and kisses Lindsey's cheek, before staring at her soul one finale time and walk away. Lindsey know what that gaze means, and it is not good for her heart at the moment. 

Wait for me, Lindsey

*

"It's insane"

"Yeah, that's, like, the hundredth time you've said that."

Mal fires a death glare at Gibby, while Jane smirks. 

"Yeah, but like... If they didn't do anything, Harris would still-" Mal insists, trying to sound smart.