27

Two months later

"Why isn't Lucy here ?" 

The whole locker room is silent. 

School resumes tomorrow, after everybody got back to their home states in order to see their family and stuff. Even Olivia, who was invited to join the Johnston for Christmas. During that time, the Mewis sisters have obviously make each other understand what that fight was all about : Kristie was worried about Sam and didn't trust Lucy, but Sam caught feelings for Lucy before she left. And ever since she got kicked out of Sam's dorm, nobody has heard of her. Well, some teammates, yes, but she wasn't answering Sam's texts. 

Laura Harvey, the Stanford coach, looks pissed. 

"Nobody had a clear mind to force her to give you news ?" she exclaims, shaking her head. "I thought this teams was supposed to be like family... What happened to that spirit ?"

Another silence. 

"Great" Coach Harvey lets out, shaking her head. "Now, how are we supposed to resume the season with our best defender out ? Uhn ? I swear to God, you guys better find out why she isn't here before next week, otherwise we'll have trouble on the pitch."

Everybody nod. 

After Coach left, Leah gets up and immediately walks toward Sam. She makes sure nobody of the thirteen other girls hear her when she hisses :

"You must know where she is."

Sam frowns. 

"Why would I know that ?"

"Because you guys obviously have a thing going on, and-"

"Had" Sam corrects. 

Carson, who also saw the scene of Kristie slapping Lucy's face, puts her arm on Leah's shoulder to calm her down, as Sam looks at the ground. 

"For fucks sake" Leah lets out, rolling her eyes.

Since her tone has been less quiet, some faces turn toward them. Sam tries her best not to decompose when she gets up, while Carson makes her a sign not to get this conversation to heathen up.

But Sam is done with all of that : she claps her hands so that everybody get their attention on her, before saying : 

"Since all of you obviously are talking behind my back, I'm going to say that to all of you : I have no fucking idea where Lucy is. Yes, we had sex once. Yes, I got attached to her more than in a friendly way. But no, this is not my fault if she left. So stop fucking thinking I am the responsible here. Okay ?"

With that said, she burst out of the room, leaving everybody speechless, until Carson hits Leah's arm, shaking her head. 

Great start of the semester, Cari thinks to herself, setting her jaw. I need to see where Lindsey is, because her not responding and Lucy disappearing is a very weird coincidence

*

When Lindsey enters the room, everybody fall into silence.