I tried not to let her words affect me; I mean, I knew he was mad at me. But it just hurt that he is really cutting me out of his life. While his anger is justified by my actions, I just feel angered that he would really shut me out like this. It doesn’t help that I have relived all five years of our - complicated - relationship over the course of a week... “Please, Marybeth, this is very important,” I tried to plead with her, hoping she could pencil me in.

“Elle, I’m sorry. Your father employs me, so, I can’t go against his word. Plus, your dad is a really busy man; his schedule is full for tomorrow. The only time he doesn’t have an appointment is in between three and four in the afternoon. But that is when he takes his ‘in office lunch break’ and I am on lunch break ... Man, Subway sounds good tomorrow, I might take that time to leave the office and go get a sub...” Marybeth rambled.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as to why she was telling me this. Soon, I realized she was giving me a window to come and talk with him without her getting in trouble. “Oh, well, I hope you have a nice long lunch break,” I stated with a smile.

Marybeth chuckled on the other end, clearly realizing I caught on, “I will.” With that said Marybeth ended the call.

I couldn’t help but release a few short laughs at Marybeth’s antics for getting me in to see my father. Turning my head, I looked over at Bryson to see that he was studying the television like it was the most interesting thing in the world. “What are you watching?” I asked, as for once during this trip, I decided to throw away all my fears of starting up a convo with him.

Bryson didn’t even bother to look at me as he responded, lamely, “Television.”

I gave a small chuckle at his smart aleck answer. “Really, couldn’t tell,” I stated with a roll of my brown eyes.

Bryson said nothing more as he continued to watch his show.

I, however, wasn’t pleased - I wanted more words to be shared. “Did you know that mosquito repellents don't repel. It just hides you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.” I randomly blurted out one of the many facts I had stored in my mind. Bryson didn’t even respond at what I said. Huffing, I continued, “On a deck of cards, the king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.”

Looking over at me, Bryson raised an eyebrow.

I gave a faint grin, for I was happy he was hearing me. I just now hope he would respond! With something! Anything! ... I waited for him to speak up, but soon - to my dismay - he looked away from me and directed his attention back onto the television.

“On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds' BigMac bun. That fact is true; I used my math ability last year to test that fact.” I stated and then started to trace random patterns, on the quilt I was seated on, as I thought back to how Kat, Randall and I didn’t believe that fact when I read it off the internet. So, in order to prove the fact, we went to McDonalds and we all ordered a BigMac. I used my freaky math ability to see if the fact was right - and I have to say the site was correct for Randall and I’s BigMac had 178 seeds, exactly. However, Kat had 179 seeds, but we figured it was close enough.

Smiling, I remembered Randall picking off a seed from Kat’s bun and going, “There, now you have 178 seeds. We are all even.”

“Math ability?” Bryson asked, as he brought me out of my moment of reminiscing.

I nodded as stopped tracing patterns and put my hands in my lap. “Yeah, I was born with this freaking ability to count things - really, really fast. I can also give you the exact time, per second even, at any moment without even looking at a clock.”

Bryson shook his head in disbelief, “No way.”

I gave a bob of my head, “Yes way.” I joked as I started to wonder what exactly he was thinking ... did he think I was a freak?

Oh, why the hell should I care?! I thought, quickly.

“Prove it,” He exclaimed and then turned off the television. “Tell me the time.”

“Eight fifty-nine and twelve seconds,” I proclaimed.

Bryson looked over at the alarm clock to see that I was, in fact, right. “You cheated, you saw the alarm clock."

I shook my head, “I swear, I didn’t even look at it.”

Bryson examined me for a second. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he thought hard about something. “You know ... I don’t believe you,” He stated but I could tell that his words held more than one meaning.

“You don’t believe I have a freaky math ability or...” I trailed off, not wanting to fully bring up something that he was not even hinting at, in case I was just reading too deeply into the lines.

“Both,” Bryson stated, showing that I was correct.

I sighed and looked down at my lap, “I was honest, on both accounts.”

I could hear him release a loud exhale, filled with frustration. “I liked you better when you were thirteen,” Bryson informed me.

I’ve no idea why but my heart gave a pang at his words. I opened my mouth to reply but nothing would come out for it felt like something inside of me was breaking due to his words. Looking away from him, I felt my eyes tear up. “She liked you better, too,” I whispered.

“What did you say?” Bryson asked.

Not replying, I got off the bed, “I’m getting in the shower,” I proclaimed in a louder tone, thankful that my voice didn’t break and show I was on the verge of tears. Going into the bathroom, I locked the door - out of habit - and turned to look at myself in the mirror.

Why did he have to be such a jerk?

Yet, what did I expect? He was what he was.

***

After my shower, I wrapped the plush white towel around my body and gave a quick glance around the room. “Shit,” I muttered when I realized I forgot to bring clothes in the bathroom with me. I sucked in my bottom lip and nibbled on it for I noted that the only option was - to go out there, in nothing but my towel ... in front of Bryson.

<><><><><><>

A/N:

I just want to give a shout out to EVERYONE that commented on the last chapter! There was 36 comments (as of 3/31/2014). I literally smiled at everyone of them! I was thrilled you guys were taking time out of your day to comment on my work! Means the world to me!!

So, THANK YOU!

Please:

Vote

Comment

and SMILE! (:

P.S - My goal is to have the story over by the end of April! *Fingers Crossed*