Chapter - 38

“She is really pretty, even with her bedhead,” A female voice commented as it lured me out of my dreamland.

“Mayla, leave her be,” A familiar voice spoke.

I heard a sigh and the creaks of the wood floorboard under someone’s feet. “I just wanted to see the girl that frustrates Bryson so much.”

My eyelids cracked open as curiosity of who was in my room consumed me. Looking forward I was faced with the back of a girl’s figure. The only thing I could tell was she had really long red hair that went to the end of her lower back. The ends clearly needed to be cut because they looked dried and split. However, I knew I shouldn’t say anything because it wasn’t my place.

Sitting up in my bed, I rubbed my eyes before focusing back in the direction of the girl. In front of her I saw Niko. We locked eyes and he smiled at me.

“Good morning, Elle,” He greeted.

The girl in front of him spun around on her heels and grinned at me like a wild cat. Her green eyes twinkled as they fully settled on me. “Hi! I’m Mayla - Niko and Bryson’s friend,” She walked over to me and outreached her hand for a handshake.

I shook her hand and mirrored the smirk on her face, “Elle,”

Mayla nodded, “I know. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“All good I hope,” I replied as I got out of the comforts of my bed.

Bobbing her head up and down, Mayla responded, “Well, to me it was good. Anyone that can make Bryson rant in anger is good in my books.” Holding back chuckles, Mayla sighed. “I have to leave in a little more than thirty minutes,” She muttered. “While I’m here, how would you like a home cooked breakfast? I’m sure Bryson is depriving you of one.”

My stomach took the opportunity after she spoke to give a loud growl of hunger. “Yes, food would be nice.”

***

“So, how old are you exactly?” Mayla asked the second she placed a plate in front of me.

Gazing down at the blue plate, I saw that it was loaded with fluffy scrambled eggs, sausage links, and paired with buttered toast. “Errr ... I’m, technically, eighteen ... but I had a car wreck a little less than a week ago and due to that I’m mentally thirteen,” I lied as I grabbed my knife and the jar of grape jelly. Dipping the metal knife in the jar, I scooped out some jelly. Spreading it on my toast, I waited for Mayla to comment because even in the short time I have known her, it was easy to tell she had a reply to everything.

I decided to mix around my eggs in order to better mix in the cheese that was now melting, on the top. Once it was all combined to my liking, I reached over and grasped the ketchup bottle. After squeezing ketchup on my plate, next to my sausage, I placed the crimson red bottle back on the hardwood table.

Seconds had turned into minutes and Mayla had yet to mutter a single word. My brown eyes flickered up in her direction to see that she was staring at me in a skeptical manner. I squirmed a little in my seat for I felt like she could see past the lie I just told her.

Adjusting to her heavy gaze, I began to realize she looked a lot like Kat. She had the same red hair, although Kat’s was a few shades darker. Yet, both Mayla and Kat had the same green eyes. I wanted to ask if she was related to Kat, but I bit my tongue because there was no way she could be. I had met most of Kat’s family ... not all but most. Plus, what was the likelihood that the small percentage of family I hadn’t met was Mayla? However, the similarities in their features were overwhelming.

“Mentally thirteen, you say?” She spoke with skepticism as she poked her eggs with a fork.

“Yep,” I popped the ‘p’ right before glancing around the room for Niko. Ever since Mayla and I came down here for breakfast he had disappeared. I raised an eyebrow as I wondered where he could have gone. I hadn’t heard the front door close - but I guess I hadn’t really been paying attention to the sounds around me...