Chapter - 43

“I can’t do this,” I proclaimed as I spun around after looking at myself in the full length mirror.

Mayla, who was sitting behind me in a green suede wing back chair, set down the flute of champagne she had in her hand and smiled widely at me. “Come on!" She clapped with an over excited expression planted on her face. “This is going to be so much fun - not as fun as last night, but still fun!”

I rolled my eyes at the mention of how Mayla kidnapped me last night from the hospital. She’d done so after I talked with Peter and was walking out of his room. Mayla informed me that Niko was taking Bryson out for his bachelor party and that if they were going to make a night out of it, so were we. So, in return, Mayla gave me a surprise bachelorette party.

I do have to say, this woman knows how to have a good time. She took me downtown where we met up with a few of her friends (Cloe, Sara and Morgan) that I quickly got along with. We hung out at a few local joints, before she and her friends dragged me to the middle of the boardwalk there, downtown, and said I had to perform a Scottish wedding tradition where the bride-to-be, in other words: me - jumps over a chamber pot in the street. They then informed me that after I jump over the pot that whoever passes by and drops money into the pot, I had to kiss. I told them hell to the no, as Morgan went to her car to retrieve the pot. However, I soon changed my mind as Mayla got down on her knees and begged me to do it.

In the end I agreed to Mayla’s silly idea. Which lead me to kissing countless men that Cloe, Sara, Mayla and Morgan persuaded to partake in the tradition that was suppose to bring my ‘upcoming marriage’ luck.

The sad part is, Mayla and her friends didn’t stop there with odd traditions. I swear, I could sit down for hours and tell you all the things they made me do - but that will only distract me  from the situation I am in and as of right now, I need my head in the game.

Sighing, I shook my head, “This is not fun! My hair is in an extremely tight bun; I can’t breathe because this mermaid dress is three sizes too small-”

“That is because someone wouldn’t go wedding dress shopping,” Mayla exclaimed.

I growled, “You and I know there was no time for dress shopping. I was tricked into this,” I stated with anger.  

Mayla nodded, “Yes, you were.” Her eyes turned a few shades darker and she radiated a very serious vibe. “This is exactly why you are going through with this. Bryson is a stupid, stupid boy that needs to be taught a lesson. He can’t go around tricking people, leading them on and then...” Mayla trailed off as her eyes casted to the ground. Her lips clamped down and I knew it was because she had caught herself taking her rant to a personal side.

My stomach dropped as I started to realize something, “You love him.” Something inside of me turned as I said those bitter tasting words.

Mayla looked up at me and quickly shook her head. “I don’t love Bryson in the sense you speak of. I love him like a brother ... but right now I’m not happy with him.” Mayla gave me a weak smile and I knew something inside of her was trying to hold back tears.

“What’s wrong?” I questioned the moment her eyes started to water up.

“This is your day,” She proclaimed as she rubbed her eyes in attempt to get rid of the water that was building up.

“Tell me ... please.”

Mayla exhaled and sunk deeper into the chair she was in. After remaining silent for a long moment, she spoke, “I was once in a relationship with a guy that  ... well, he hurt me - emotionally. He led me on, made me feel special but soon - once I was knee deep in love with him - he started to treat me like I was last week’s leftovers ... I know our situations are on opposite playing fields, but I can’t help but take this all personally because not only have we both been tricked by a liar but we both care deeply about the person that lied to us ... Not to mention, Bryson knows better than to do this. I’m ashamed at the moment to think of him as a brother...”