Chapter Ten-Part Four

Start from the beginning

   This time, his efforts worked. Myeong Joo regained consciousness after feeling something scratching her hands, which somewhat discomforted her. She began to experience what Dae Young was experiencing earlier when she noticed that she was tied to a chair. Like him, she struggled to free herself, but Dae Young told her to stop before she unintentionally done something that could attract the guard's attention. Right now, to remain silent was their only chance of survival, but they had to get out of their knots ifrdt in order to do so. When Myeong Joo's senses returned and she realised where she was, she began to figure out ways to get out of there.

   The guards were so engrossed with their conversation that they didn't realise that their captives were awake. This might have presented a great chance to Dae Young if he was in his military gear, but right now, stuck in a chair with no means of escape, he knew that it would be only a matter of time before the guards found out about their state. There was no time to lose. They had to release themselves or they will never get out of the space alive. "Do you have any ideas?" Myeong Joo whispered. Apparently, she was out of initiatives. She didn't realise that Dae Young too was suffering the same thing.

   "If I had one, we wouldn't be stuck here." Dae Young replied regretfully. "Looks like we'll have to wait until somebody finds us."

   That was the only probable option they had. However, there was one problem. "Will they find us?" She whispered back with a tone of uncertainty. "We are in some place we don't know. How do you expect anyone to find us here?"

   That question left Dae Young completely speechless. Myeong Joo was right about one thing. They were tied in a structure that was fully cemented, and had no ventilation at all. It was humid inside the space, and Dae Young began to sweat. Myeong Joo also experienced the same thing. Dae Young couldn't guess how thick those walls could be from the outside, and the windowless space gave Dae Young no clue of the outside world. Whether it was shiny or rainy outside, he couldn't determine. The only clear conclusion he could make from the sight of the stairs heading up was that they were all underground. The windowless space explained everything, as well as the stairs. Who would built windows underground and allow the soil to enter the space?

   Given the lack of apparent communication devices in that vacant space, he reckoned that the signal must be weak. This meant that even though their trackers were still on, in this underground structure, nothing would get through. Most underground structures were built with thick walls to prevent pressure from the ground from crushing its base, and this also prevented signals from piercing through the thick, protective shell. They were isolated; totally cut off from the world outside. In this case, how would anyone find them?

   "You're right." Dae Young reluctantly agreed. "How can anyone find us?"

   All they could do right now was to pray.

*****

Joint Tactical Camp
8.12 p.m.
   "The château's been vacant for years ever since the last strike. Last year, it was bought over by some rich Russian oligarchs who wanted a retreat somewhere near the coast." Hong Guan briefed in perfect Hangul the Korean team. "Several renovations were made to the château, which included the extension of the East and West Wings, the expansion of the back porch, the removal of the tennis court to built a fountain, extra security measures, advanced security gates, and lastly, an underground shelter."

   "An underground shelter?" Lieutenant Kang questioned with curious eyes. Even the rest were wondering about the purpose of this structure. "What for?"

   "That, we don't know. However, one thing is certain–this IS the safest and the most secured place to hold the hostages." Hong Guan pointed to the blueprint of the château that showed the schematics of the underground shelter. This, is where things will get complicated–the shelter's five floors down, reinforced with thick concrete, and there's only one way up and one way down. Finding the hostages will be quite an obstacle. They could be in any one of these floors."