09: Knowing Secrets

Lian was certain that the guy she saw earlier outside the dormitory, and the one who is now standing across the street from the diner they were in, is the same person

Lian was certain that the guy she saw earlier outside the dormitory, and the one who is now standing across the street from the diner they were in, is the same person. She is also sure that he is one of her brother's friends.

It was Yosef, she instantly recognized. He was the one she was closest with after all.

"Either that fucker is an idiot or he really wants you to notice him." Those words made her look back at Judah who was sitting in front of her and is currently taking a bite from his burger.

"You knew he had been watching us too?," she asked, before averting her attention back to her pancakes.

"Only a blind man won't see him," he scoffed. "Looks like your brother started monitoring you. I wonder why," he added sarcastically.

She bit her lip. They both knew what the reason is and they're just making it even worse by leaving the dorm and having breakfast together. Her brother will kill her for this.

"This is the first time he did this though. In fact, it's the first time I saw Yosef again after two years," she frowned and took a glance outside for the umpteenth time. As expected, he was still there and he was staring—no, more like glaring—not at her but at her companion.

"You sure about that, doll?"

This made her look at him questionably.

"Of course I am," she said defensively. Wait what? Why did that come out sounding so defensive?

"You met your brother's friends?" By now, his attention is solely focused on her because he is done with his meal. It should've made her feel awkward but she realized she's starting to get used to his intimidating gaze.

"Yes, about a month after we transferred here in Byeoljari which was three years ago. Jake and I were still staying in the house our parents bought for us. He would always invite his newfound friends and I'd always hang out with them. Unlike Jacob, it wasn't easy for me to socialize so I only had them," she found herself sharing.

It was rare for her to tell someone these things, but what's the big deal? It's not like it's a secret that must be kept.

"What about that ginger-haired girl you're with? And that other girl with Jordynn?" It was ironic how he was the one asking questions and not her. Perhaps if she answers him, she would get some too.

"I met Rylie two months after I transferred because she had this ballet competition overseas. Julianna was more of Jordynn's friend, we're just acquaintances? Yeah, like that," she replied before placing the utensils down her empty plate and wiping her lips with a piece of paper napkin.

"So?," Judah crossed his arms and leaned back his chair, waiting for her to continue.

"So?," she cluelessly repeated, making him smirk.

"You said it's been two years since you saw your brother's friends. What happened?"

Her brows furrowed. That's the same question she's been asking herself all these years, what happened?