T W E N T Y T W O

T W E N T Y T W O: Bad Blood

M A Y A   H A R T

Most humans need sleep or they will become Mr. Cranky Pants all day. And I'm one of those humans. Waking me up in the morning is like forcing a cat to swim. It will claw its way out. My mother learned the hard way and Shawn has not learned at all.

Sunlight was burning through my window as morning came. My legs were tangled in the sheets as I was sprawled out like a starfish on the edge of my bed.  Then my phone went off and I almost had a spasm attack. I slap my phone to the ground and the ringing stops. Then a minute later it goes off again. I ignore it and hug my pillow. Then it goes off a third time and my bedroom door swings open with a loud bang.

"Answer your dang phone before I smash it with the toaster", Shawn yells. He is also one of those humans who love their beauty sleep.

I slowly meet his eye and rise to my feet. Hair is in my face, bats are under my eyes, and I look like the walking dead. He flinches at my appearance before putting a straight face back on. "Turn it off."

Instead of being a good daughter and listening, I jump on his back and slap his body repeatedly as he tries throwing me off like a bull. I scream in his ear as the phone goes off a fourth time.

Soon my mom barges in with her hair looking like a birds nest. She holds her robe tight against her chest, clearly wearing nothing underneath. "No", she shakes her finger at us. I hop off of Shawn very slowly as I look at my mom more closely. Her robe is very thin and showing her slightly bigger stomach.

No!

"Get out." I point to the door, anger not leaving my face. They look at me a bit puzzled then at each other. "Get out!"

"Wha-"

"Do your ears not work? Because I said get out." I shove them out the door and slam it right in their face.

I walk over to my bed and take a seat. I reach down to the floor and pick up my phone. It was no longer ringing and cracked. I turn it on and it shows four miss calls and a text message from Liam. Seriously?

I call him back and he picks up on the first ring. Time to give him a peace of my mind! "Do you have any idea what time it is? What the heck! When I see you I'm gonna kick you so hard in the balls it falls right off. Good luck getting boys-"  I stop myself when I hear annoying laughter from the other end. "What's so funny?"

"You", he says as he calms his laughter. "Sorry that I called so many times. Who knew the beast needed sleep?"

"I will hunt you down", I warn him.

"You don't scare me."

"Will see about that."

"Uh-huh", he mutters, not believing what I say. "Anyways, I was calling to see if your brother needed a ride to camp. I would of called him but I don't have his number."

My brother? I don't have -- oh yeah! Ashton. My brother. He hates you. Bye!" I hang up and set my phone down. What a doofus!

I open my drawers and pull out Ashton's clothes and stuff them in a duffle bag for this week of camp, which is also the last. Winter break is over and the coaches don't want us to miss more than a week of school. I guess education is important. Anyways, coach will explain more about next week and the weeks after when at practice.

I look in the mirror and adjust my wig. Then I'm ready. I head out my bedroom and down the hall to get stopped when I reach the front door.

"We need to talk", my mother says, crossing her arms over her chest.

"No we don't."

I try stepping around her, but she puts her hand on the door knob. I study her as she starts babbling some kind of lecture. She's changed into a pair of jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.

"Maya, you listening to me?"

"No", I answer. "I got to go."

"I'll drive you."

"No."

"May-"

"No", I shout. Then there's tears daring not to spill out of her eyes. "How long?"

"A little over two months."

"Why did you never tell me?"

She doesn't answer.

"I got to go."

<>
•••
<>

"Hey", Liam says as he pulls up. "You must be cold." He hops out of his car and takes my bags. "Here". He opens my door for me and lets me slide in. He shoves my bags into the trunk before hopping in and starting the car up.

"Your sister says you hated me. Of corse I didn't believe her", he says as he drives down the road.

"I know."

"Did she tell you?"

"No, I just know."

"How? Some type of twin thing?"

"I said I just know", I shout, getting a bit irritated.

"Wow", he says, not shutting that peep hole of his. "Someone needs anger management."

"Can we not talk, please?"

He nods and leans over the steering wheel to the radio. He turns the channel trying to find a station. Once satisfied he turns the volume way up. Then starts singing along, looking at me every few seconds and smiling.

"Cause baby we got bad blood", he sings off key. "Did you have to do this? It's sad to think about the good times."

"I hate this song."

"We use to make mad love", he continues. Then looks at me again and gives a wide grin. His eyes sparkle. Why does he got to be so dang cute?

"Your so off key."

He laughs. "Sing with me."

"No."

"Come on. Sing."

I shake me head, biting back a smile. "Not gonna happen."

"Fine, I understand." He turns his eyes back to the road as the car becomes silent and the song changes. Then I regret ever calling him back for a ride. He snaps his head my direction. As the beat drops he mouths, " I'm sexy and I know it."

I break out laughing so hard I might tinkle in my pants. What is wrong with him? Nothing.

Nothing at all.