The sheriff stood at an average height with a five o'clock shadow that contrasted with his light hair. He looked older than Dray, but she guessed only in his thirties.

"Great idea." He smiled and pulled back his hand, clasping it together with the other. "We love to get to know our residents."

Still not knowing how to politely end an unwanted conversation—a skill she could never grasp—Dray continued with a smile. "I did a little research on the area and was impressed by the low crime rate. I've felt comfortable here so far." As soon as the words left her mouth, her expression faltered.

The sheriff's eyes darted away and for a second his own smile disappeared, but just as quick he clapped his hands. "Thank you, Dray. We run a tight ship here, so I'm glad you feel safe." He moved forward and gestured towards the door. "I apologize for ushering you out so soon, but we've got a lot of work to get done yet today."

Dray walked the few steps with him, startled more by the sudden shift in movement than the sudden request.

"I'm glad you could stop by. Have a nice day!" The door shut before she even had a chance to speak. The sheriff didn't even give his name.

Dray's perception of the force skewed slightly negative from Weldon Walden's ideas. The awkward encounter left more doubt in her mind, for sure, but Dray just barged into the police station for small talk, she could expect nothing less.

Dray marveled about the strange a situation she had gotten herself into and the knot in her stomach pulled at hesitation on continuing through it. The thought of getting on the bad side of the police put a bitter taste in her mouth.

She started back down the sidewalk into downtown and let out a deep sigh. All of the unsettling thoughts might not be enough to override the air of mystery that grew with every question. Her sense of wonder had always been a vice.

Dray rolled her eyes and flung her arms in the air. She knew what was going to happen. There was no sense in getting a headache over it.

It was time to find Mr. Walden.

Restaurants and bars with outdoor patios, boutique shops, antique stores, and a post office with architecture to rival the police station filled Downtown Hero. People also crowded the sidewalks. If Dray hadn't know any better, she would have thought the entire town had the same idea of bouncing in and out of the shops. Residents even took to walking along in the street, only having to dodge a car every once in a while.

She wandered up and down the sidewalks, side-stepping many of those whom, in her opinion, were in too much of a hurry. She tried to take advantage of the walk to get to know the area, but her focus darted back to the mysterious man she met the day before.

Her sneakers scuffed as she walked, adding more scratches and marks to her once white shoes. They had little arch support and despite her love for them, were terrible to walk in. She needed to sit down.

Finally on the edge of giving up and going home, Dray spotted a mop of dark hair seated under a tree in the corner of an outdoor patio. It stuck out from the last building on main street and a few blocks from the police station. A cutout metal sign hanging from the surrounding rod iron gate named the restaurant. Posies looked like a worn down sports bar, which in Dray's experience always cooked the best food.

Dray walked over, a small smile rounding her face as she passed garden boxes full of the flower bunches that inspired the name. The different colors blended together with bright green leaves and warmed up the otherwise dingy exterior and landscaping.

As she closed in, Weldon didn't bother to look up. His feet propped up underneath the table, while his knees rested against it. He hunched over his thighs scribbling across something like a notebook or journal.