You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid

Bakugou rubbed tiredly at his eyes, blinking away the sleepiness. He glanced at Sero, who was staring intently at the chessboard in a futile attempt to find a way to turn the tables on his opponent. Why he'd actually gone to the chess club meet, he didn't know, but he did know that he was starting to regret it. He could've been taking a nice nap right about now, but instead he was still at school, watching two dorks duke it out in a not-so-intense battle of intelligence. Meanwhile, Midoriya was shivering with excitement—literally. Bakugou could practically feel the vibrations as he sat in the seat next to him. He looked over at Midoriya, who appeared to be silently commentating on the match to himself, and bumped him lightly with his leg. "Hey, when does this thing end again?"

"Oh, uhh.." Midoriya glanced at the clock on the wall. "In about twenty minutes, or whenever this final match ends," he said quickly before turning back to the game. Bakugou sighed, slumping into his chair and letting his head fall back. He stared at the ceiling in thought, blocking out the nerdy grunts of excitement from the people around him. 'I could just leave right now,' he thought. But then he glanced over at Midoriya and knew he wouldn't leave. And he didn't.

. . .

"Did you see the way Sero managed to escape being caught in checkmate, but then Yaoyorozu strategically barricaded any possible escapes and then bLAM! Sero was done for!!" Midoriya waved his hands wildly as he fantasized about the match. Bakugou, walking at his side, shook his head at the fanatical Deku. He didn't understand what he found so interesting about two kids moving some pieces of carved wood around another, larger block of carved wood. Personally, he liked real action. Explodey-type action. Despite that, he still cracked a small smile when Midoriya continued to show his excitement. 'You're such a damn nerd, you know that?' he thought to himself.

Suddenly, Midoriya stopped talking and spun on his heel, turning to Bakugou with his head cocked. "You're gonna go next week, too, right?" He asked. Bakugou looked down at the other, flinching. There was no way in hell he was going to go. That hour and a half he'd just spent watching Sero and Yaoyorozu duking it out on the battlefield of intelligence felt like an eternity, and he sure as HELL wasn't going to sit through that again, especially not voluntarily. Yet, when he opened his mouth to answer, the only thing that came out was a clear "yeah, I'll go." If anything, he sounded excited.

Bakugou genuinely wasn't interested in going to another meet, but he knew Midoriya was, and that Midoriya wanted him to go. And deep down, he knew what was happening. He knew that he just wanted another excuse to hang out with Izuku, even if it meant that he had to sit through that Hell all over again.

There was no denying the fluttering feeling that built up in his chest when he thought about Midoriya. There was no sugarcoating it, no avoiding it. He wasn't dumb like most perceived him to be, and above all things he would at least acknowledge his own feelings when he liked someone. Despite this, he was still panicking. Sometimes he felt like he could just collapse when near Midoriya, as though he were jell-o. Other times he was completely fine, cool as a cucumber. He felt conflicted.

"Bakugou?" Midoriya's voice sent Bakugou flying back into reality. "You okay there?"

"Huh?" Bakugou whipped his head around, back at Midoriya, who had been waving his hand in his face, over his glossy eyes. "Yeah! I just zoned out for a minute there. Hah." His throat went dry, and any confidence he ever had suddenly pressed the eject button and seemingly disappeared in an instant. "Yeah, I'll definitely go," he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Okay, cool! Well, I should get going. My mom's here. See you tomorrow?" Midoriya slung his backpack over his shoulder.

"Yeah." Bakugou stopped and thought for a moment. "Hey, we should hang out after school or something soon, Deku." He nearly stuttered, a rare sight to see in Mr. Katsuki Bakugou. He felt as though he were a malfunctioning machine, and that his system was being overrided by none other than Midoriya (I bet he'd love for Izuku to ride him hAhHA HAD TO SAY IT). Katsuki could feel heat rising in his cheeks, and he reached up to feel them, playing it off as if he were going to swipe some hair from his face, but instead, he poked himself in the eye. Nice.

"Really? Yeah, let's do it!" Midoriya smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, then. Bye, Kacchan!" He waved as he jogged out of the school doors.

Bakugou stood in the hall alone as the heavy metal doors clanked shut. He watched through the enormous windows as Midoriya ran to his mom's car and hopped in the passenger seat. As soon as they drove away, Bakugou threw his face into his hands and screamed.

"FUUUUUUCK. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID." He slapped himself in the face a few times, then pivoted his foot and kicked a locker as hard as he could—which was pretty goddamn hard. He'd later regret that decision as his foot hurt like hell. 'Great, you scare Midoriya. He seemed relieved to get away from me. He probably doesn't trust me, and thinks I have some sort of ulterior motive. But I don't! I..I just like him, I guess. He's pretty cool...' Katsuki's mind raced. He was an absolute mess. An angry mess, at that.

He could hear teachers assembling in the halls upstairs, muttering amongst themselves about who had screamed such an obscenity. By the time they reached the commons, Bakugou was long gone.

"It must've been Young Bakugou. I'd recognize that enraged screech from anywhere." Said Mr. Yagi, peeking over the railing overseeking the commons where Bakugou had just been. 

The entire walk home, which wasn't very long, Katsuki spent huffing and puffing about what had happened. He was angry—and at at himself, for a change. He wasn't quite sure why, though. But, he did know that he wanted to fight something.

When he got home, Bakugou tossed his things down by the door and immediately went to his room, closing the door and flopping onto his bed. He jammed his earbuds into his ears and started blasting his music at a deafening volume—just how he liked it. (And in case you wanted to know, what other genre could it be than heavy metal and screamo?). Then he took a deep breath, just like his therapist had shown him. "One...two...three...three...two...one..." he mumbled under his breath. Just when he thought he might calm down, he turned around and slugged the wall as hard as he could.

Thank god his mom wasn't home.

The pain ringing through his knuckles clearing his head just a little, Bakugou calmly turned to his closet and pulled a poster from a tube. It happened to be of a heavy metal band. He unrolled it and stuck in on the wall, right over the fist-sized hole that he'd just created. Then he took a step back and examined all of his walls, at each of the posters randomly placed around the room.

"Fucking Deku. Fucking Kirishima. Fucking..." he mumbled, the list seeming never-ending. He flopped back onto his bed and closed his eyes, thinking about that green-headed dork who made his heart skip a beat every time he saw him.

It was weird, you know? Bakugou had known him since they were young children, and never had he ever felt anything towards him, other than jealousy and even at one point, anger and hatred because of that jealousy. But when he saw Midoriya's face that day when he'd been spitballed, something clicked inside of him. He actually noticed Midoriya again for the first time in years, and he liked what he saw.

'What am I doing?'

I LIED LIKE 4 DAYS AGO WHEN I SAID ID UPDATE THE NEXT DAY HAHA.

I'm on break but I've literally spent it inhaling turkey and sleeping so this is it for now. Whoops.

It's not even that great but hEY MASTERPIECES TAKE TIME. I honestly actually have no idea where I'm going with this and it's kind of a play-it-by-ear thing but hopefully it turns out good??

I love your guys' feedback and comments tho they're so funny to read omg

I PROMISE ILL TRY TO UPDATE AGAIN TOMORROW BUT NO GUARANTEES BC I HAVE WORK A A A

Also side note: I  l i v e for self conscious Bakugou who doesn't have any of his shit together because he's too head-over-heels for Deku if you haven't already noticed

Side note side note: what even are my chapter names lmao why can't I just do numbers like a normal fucking person like they literally have almost nothing to do with the actual chapter oops should I stop that

ALSO I DO WANNA DO SOME REALLY CUTE SHIT LATER THO and I also might actually go back and change a few little things from earlier chapters but I'll let you guys know if I do that so you don't miss anything

Anyway, enough of my boring ass rambling and happy reading!