Lettuce

Bakugou walked into the cafeteria, tossing his things on an empty table. He decided not to sit at his usual table, considering what had happened last week. He did glance over there, though, to see how banged up Kirishima was. There was a large, nasty looking bruise on and around his nose, which was puffy and patched up. He nodded at his masterpiece with the biggest shit eating grin. 'He looks better like that,' he thought to himself.

"Is this seat taken?" A familiar voice asked. It was Midoriya, who stood by the table, his bag slung over his shoulder.

"Sorry, no room. As you can see, all of my many friends are sitting here," Bakugou said sarcastically, gesturing to the empty table with a small laugh.

Midoriya rolled his eyes as he slid into a seat next to Bakugou. Despite the fact that the two hadn't really talked much since elementary, Midoriya was strangely comfortable with the other.  Normally, he would never approach someone at a lunch table, but with Bakugou, it almost felt...natural to him, and brought about a familiar sense of nostalgia.

"They're probably just freaked out about the fight. I guess they've seen what you did to Kirishima," Midoriya said, gesturing to the redhead across the cafeteria.

"Yeah, well, there's plenty more where that came from. He can't just go around calling people faggots." Bakugou popped a dorito in his mouth.

"I mean, he wasn't wrong. At least about me," Midoriya said under his breath, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"Well, me, too, but it doesn't mean it was okay, though." Bakugou shrugged. "In his defense, though, I'm pretty sure his vocabulary is limited to: faggot, cheeseburger, and rock. I guess we should've seen it coming."

Surprised at what Bakugou had first said, Midoriya inhALED a piece of lettuce from his sandwich. He started coughing, the lettuce caught in his throat, while at the same time trying to laugh it off, which only made his cough, gasp and sputter even more.

"Whoa, are you okay?" Bakugou flinched, watching as the other nearly experienced 'Death By Lettuce'. He patted Midoriya's back with force in an attempt to help him get the lettuce out.

Midoriya coughed again then stopped, having got the lettuce out of his throat. He wheezed, holding his chest. "You're gay?!" (CUE IDUBBZ HOPPING OFF OF A LAUNDRY MACHINE SAYING "IM GAY")

"You nearly choked on a piece of lettuce and the first thing you say is that?" Bakugou laughed. "And yeah. Well, technically, I'm bi. But, yeah."

Midoriya stared at him wide-eyed, conpletely surprised. He figured there were at least a few other homos at his school, whether they admitted to it or not, but the last person he expected was Bakugou. "I would've never guessed..."

"Yeah, that's what most people say. I dunno if that's a good or a bad thing, though." Bakugou shrugged and tossed his trash into the trash can behind him. "But hey, we homos need to stick together, right?" He joked, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

Midoriya nodded numbly, still surprised at the fact that he was bi. At first, he wondered if Bakugou was messing with him, but decided that he had no reason to lie about that, especially if it put his social status at risk. God forbid that happened. At least, he hoped so. "I guess it's a good thing. The football team probably would've never let you hear the end of it if they had known." The bell rang, and the two began walking up the stairs into the commons.

"Yeah, true." Bakugou nodded. "Speaking of the team, though, I think I'm gonna quit."

"Wait, what? You're gonna quit? Why?" Midoriya's stomach dropped. This was about him. Bakugou was going to quit the team because of what had happened last week. He felt a pang of guilt in his gut.

"I dunno, I just feel like I should. One, they're assholes. Especially for what happened last week, but they're assholes for other things, too. I've taken so much of their shit, and I'm not going to anymore. Plus, the season hasn't even started, so I need to drop out while I still can. Once the season starts, you can't." Bakugou glanced behind him, making eye contact with Todoroki, who was halfway through an insulting pose aimed at the two.

"And two," Bakugou continued, shaking his head, "Have you seen the glares they've been shooting my way? Sure, I've shot them some looks, but the entire team's doing it. I don't want to have to be around them for practices and games. Chances are, they won't even pass to me. I'll probably be benched with Kirishima. I heard the coach was pissed, too." He ran a hand through his hair and huffed. "I just wanna, like, go straight home after school and eat chips, y'know?"

"Jeez..." Midoriya didn't know what to say. He'd never seen this side of Bakugou. Sure, he didn't really know him personally at all, but by the way he acted outwardly, anyone could tell he wasn't the type to give a fuck if anyone thought negatively of him. And he was never so casual. Midoriya felt as though he were making friendly conversation with any random person off the street, not talking to the stone-cold jock Bakugou. This was a different Bakugou. Maybe...it was the real Bakugou?

"Well, what are you gonna do if you quit? Join another team, or something?" Midoriya cocked his head, craning to look up at him.

"Maybe. I think I might take a break from any sports, though. If I do decide to do anything, I'll probably join a club." Bakugou shrugged, running a hand through his hair.

"You should join the chess club!!" Midoriya exclaimed excitedly. "You'd probably be really good at it! Plus, I'm in the club, so...."

"Me? Chess?" Bakugou scoffed sarcastically. "I don't think I have the brain capacity for that."

"Aw, c'mon! Don't be so hard on yourself. I can tell you'd be a pretty good chess player. Plus, you don't even have to be good. Anyone can join, anyway." Midoriya knew full well that Bakugou was just as smart, if not smarter than him. He decided not to say anything, though. His face lit up with a cheeky smile. "There's free food every day we meet."

Bakugou thought for a minute. "Alright, fine. I'll go for the food." Midoriya rolled his eyes, still smiling. "Luckily for you, there's a meet tomorrow." The bell rang.

"Oh, shit, we're late. You should get to class." Bakugou looked up at the empty halls.

"Oh, yeah! See ya!" Midoriya gave a half wave as he turned and began running, knowing his perfect no-tardy record was at stake. Suddenly, though, he stopped and looked back at Bakugou. "Be there or be square!!" He yelled, before turning heel and running once again.

"Sure thing," said Bakugou, who was less concerned about getting to class on time. He watched as Midoriya ran before shoving his hands in his pockets and strolling to his next class.

And to no surprise, the lettuce story is based off of one of my personal experiences too, except it was an apple, and I spewed it all over my best friend, who is now my girlfriend, and continued to choke and try to laugh it off at the same time. It got so intense that I shoved my face into the table and laid there with tears in my eyes. When I finally calmed down we looked at each other and I lost my shit again, and spewed even more apple everywhere. Talk about homemade applesauce. Ah, good times :'^)

Hope this chapter was to your liking! I know it was short but give me a break. It's 1 am, I have to get up at the asscrack of dawn in 3 and a half hours and I'm already sleep deprived as it is. Buuuut luckily for you guys, my thanksgiving break starts tomorrow after school so I'll have plenty of time to write some juicy shit. Expect another chapter or even two tomorrow!