"You have always bought compliance with hostages, but the way these things work is by trading something of equal value."

"So?" She hissed.

So this is either legal jargon or...alchemy...

"So a handful of people won't buy you the world Dr Floid." Garmen, of all people, was the one to speak up.

The Supervisor sounded exhausted... obviously, cause tech support is such an exhausting job. Undervalued really. Us people who've been manhandled by crazy giants all day don't know how easy we've got it.

It was out of respect for his hard work that I stayed silent as the wary Supervisor laid out the cold hard facts for all to hear.

"After what has been revealed, not even the lives of every single person under the influence of your system can afford you the time to retreat, let alone force us to do so. It is inevitable. War is coming to your doorstep."

The hand around my waist squeezed tighter with frustration...which was something I really did not need to deal with after calmly being informed that my life was gonna be collateral damage.

"War, you say?" Cassandra clenched her teeth in a savage grin. "My my, then it looks like I'll be winning the first battle."

Yep. We're all officially going to die now. This is exactly why smart people should just shut up and let Mr Fist do the talking...

"Calling this a battle..." Cassandra's attention jerked to the side, following the barrel of her gun to stare at the approaching Alan. "...is giving it too much credit, Mother."

The redhead was limping forward with a rueful smirk, one arm hanging broken at his side.

If I wasn't looking at the mangled limb myself, I never would have known he had been injured.

He hadn't even made a sound.

"No one here has anything to lose..." um... hey...I kinda do... "and you have nothing to gain. Old Mc'Valium wouldn't be here playing clean up if you stood a chance of breaking even...and I wouldn't still be talking if you couldn't feel it..."

Cassandra cocked the gun sharply up, levelling it at the approaching boy's head in warning.

"Alan." I glanced over at the sound of Alex's monotonous plea. "Don't..."

"Alexander." Alan didn't spare his brother a second glance. The small boy wasn't even able to stand, a dark puddle of blood forming under his mangled leg "It's not like you to get involved in one of our family arguments. Please don't give up one of your only good habits on my account."

Proving that insanity runs in the family, Alan didn't stop moving forward until the gun pressed against his temple.

Standing at ease, all Alan offered his Mother was a weak smile.

"...this was goodbye Mother."

"No!" The word was sharp, the edge of a broken sob.

What had started out as a slight quiver became harsh trembling as Cassandra held the gun level.

Wait a second.

I straightened up, noticing for the first time that Dr Floid was far from on top of the situation.

Since when did the crazy lady start losing her cool?

"Put..."

"Be quiet, Alan!"She screeched shoving the gun harshly against his head. "I'm thinking."

Alan's expression held zero cheer at this point, watching his mothers breakdown with wary eyes.

"Yes, well, allow me to speed up the process," Vain said before abruptly pulled out of her grip.

Just like that.

I gaped at him along with Cassandra, confused by the crazed woman's lack of resistance as the pale boy turned to face her.

Vain brushed himself in mild disgust before meeting her stare, crimson gaze undaunted.

"You've already lost Cassandra."

...I might just be the shrunken girl trapped in the claw of the psychopath...but it sure doesn't feel like we're winning from my perspective...

"You lost everything. Everyone." His voice held the barest trace of pity. "A very long time ago."

"I..." For once, Cassandra seemed to be at a loss for words.

The crazy villain...is being talked down with...logic? Listening to reason?

I stared between her and Vain, hardly believing that this was happening.

Are they allowed to do that?

"The matter of the fact is, you can not defeat someone who has already lost."

Eyes still locked with hers, Vain reached forward to pry the doctor's cold fingers away from my waist.

Though stiff and trembling...the fingers let me slip through.

Cassandra only stared at Vain as I fell out of her hand and into his. Expression lost.

"This is not us defeating you, Dr Floid."

I landed in Vain's hand without a word, scrambling up his palm and as far away from her as he calmly withdrew his hand.

His fingers curled, holding me protectively against his chest as he took the tiniest step back.

I stared out past his fingers at the seemingly shell-shocked woman...not quite understanding how a few bold words could reduce her to this.

Then again, I can't claim to understand what drove her in the first place.

"This is you, being disarmed."

I don't know what conclusion she came to.

How her twisted mind chose to handle the choices given to her.

I only know that the answer made her smile.

"...No."

The word was both defeated and relieved.

It was a surrender.

"If you were going to disarm me..."

Just not the one we had been hoping for.

"You would have taken the gun."

She pulled the trigger.