Chapter 14- Regret

Start from the beginning

"Your father is in his office," she says. 

I turn in the opposite direction of the dining room and make way to my fathers office. His door is closed. I slightly knock. My stomach flutters out of nerves. "Come in." I take a big breathe, open the door, and walk in precariously. He sits at his desk writing on a piece of parchment. I take a seat on one of the two plush, leather seats that sit in front of his desk. Seconds roll by and he still keeps writing on his parchment. So he calls me in here just to ignore me. His disregard for me only makes my nerves grow worse. Finally, he sets down his pen and looks up at me. He smiles but it doesn't meet his eyes. There appears to be small wrinkles forming around his face. Probably from working so hard. 

"Now you are not in trouble so no need to be worried. It is just that I am going into town today and I thought you should join me." His fingers fold together and his face still has the small smile. This seems more like he is trying to make a business deal rather than just wanting to spend time with his daughter, but I'll take what I can get. 

"Oh, um sure. When?" I ask. 

He look at his leather watch. "How about now?" I give him a grin and stand up. "Sure let me just go get my purse." Quickly I get my purse and make my way back downstairs. My father gives my mother a kiss and our butler opens the door for him and he steps out. I kiss my mothers cheek and follow steadily behind my father. The black and slightly gold carriage is already out and ready to go. Unfortunately, it is not Harry who is the one helping out, but his father instead. I hope Harry is not ignoring me. I can't stand that he might be. The last time he ignored me was awful. I remembered that I had wished that I would never have to feel that way again.

The door to the carriage is opened and I climb in behind my father and off we go. The rode is a little bumpy, but that is what you get when you ride by a horse drawn carriage. Before I know it we finally make into town. I step out off the carriage and into the dirt street. It is a lovely day. The sky shines a bright blue with only a few frosted flocculent clouds. The streets seems to be buzzing with excitement. I always enjoy coming into town because I feel like I live in the middle of nowhere. There is a giant bell-tower at the end of main street with a giant clock attached to it. It reads a quarter to ten o'clock. 

My father and I walk along the wooden built sidewalk that connects to the streams of stores along main street. Since my father is a very well know man almost everyone stops to great him or try and make small talk, much to my displeasure. Isn't this day supposed to be about me and him? Eventually we make our way out of the sea of people and turn down Sunshine street. There are tons of food places down this street, along with a few clothing stores and maybe even a pub or two. 

"Sorry darling, but I need to make a quick stop before we continue." I nod and we keep walking till he stops in front of a wooden door that looks like it would instantly fall apart if you didn't handle it carefully enough. When we walk into the store I notice it is not even a store, but a pub! Why would he take to me a pub? Who even comes to a pub this early anyway? 

I take notice that there is one table with three people sitting at it, engrossed into a conversation. A women sits alone at a table looking quite worn out. Lastly, there is one man sitting at the bar, his head is rested on the bar. A man behind the bar seems to be cleaning out some used cups. He doesn't seem to notice the man passed out on his bar. I don't even think he notices me or my father. A pub is not exactly a place for a lady to be. 

The place has a strong smell of alcohol and dust. It seems rather quiet besides the three men sitting at the table at the far end of the pub. I awkwardly stand there wringing my hands together. My father turns around and says, "I'm going to talk to a few friends for a sec. Go ahead and do whatever you like. I shouldn't take long." He leaves me and makes his way to the three men. What I would like to do is go home. How dare he suggest we go out together and then just leave me. Also, to leave me in a pub, alone!

I swiftly make my way to the bar and take a seat. I make sure not to wake the passed out man, in case he might end up being temperamental. You never know what people in a bar might do. However, my attempt to not wake the sleeping man did not prevail. He lifted his head up and opened his eyes slightly, but he seems to still be a bit drowsy. He looks at me and sits up slightly. He seems to be about the same age as me. His pale skin looks faded and his bright blue eyes are bloodshot. I take notice that his hair is two different colors. Brunette at the roots, but blonde at the top. If we met under normal circumstances, meaning if he wasn't in a bar passed out, I might consider him attractive. 

"I'm Niall. When did you get here?" 

I take notice that he has an Irish accent. Strange, there usually aren't a lot if Irish people around here. I debate on whether or not I should answer him. He is a stranger after all. 

"Um...just a few seconds ago." 

He nods, "want a drink?" 

"At this hour?" I ask baffled. 

He huffs, "yeah why not?" 

"Um because it is unhealthy," I state matter-of-factually. 

He scoffs and ignores my statement."Did'j yeah see the man who walk in here just a bit ago? Apparently he one of the richest men in town." 

"Yeah, so I've heard."

"Heard he 'as quite a lovely daughter too."

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess." I wouldn't dare tell him that the daughter was me. I look around not really paying much attention to what this man is saying. Hopefully he'll get the hint that I don't want to talk to him. I look over at my fathers table. When are they going to be done talking?

"One of my friends actually works for the guy. Can ya believe it?" 

I look at him with sudden interest. One of his friend? Could he mean Harry?

"Really? Who?" 

"His name is 'Arry. We met while he was traveling all over Europe. When he left to come back home, he told me a lot about it," he pauses to hiccup, "and I thought I'd come and see the great town he talked so much about. Now that I'm here I don't see why he'd want to come back seeing as the life he lived in Europe." He smirks at the last part. 

"What do you mean?" I ask curiously. 

He giggles, "well he was quite the ladies man. He knew how to have a good time too," he sighs. A dazed look overcomes his face as he recalls the memory. I frown at what he told me. 

"Quite the ladies man huh?" He laughs and nods. "Yeah he couldn't seem to keep them away. Of course he didn't sleep with all'v them." He takes a sip of his drink. For some reason hearing this information hurts. Harry, sleeping around? 

"Oh. Well it was nice talking to you, but I must go." I no longer have the desire to speak to the man. Nor the desire to listen to more stories about Harry's conquests. How could I think that he might feel something for me? I mean, Harry left me. And while doing so he slept with other people. I don't know why I feel so upset. It's not like we were together or anything. But I can't help but feel hurt. 

Suddenly I don't feel as excited to have my riding lessons today.

------------
Wow! I think this might be the longest chapter but idk. Hope you guys like it :)

I want to thank you for the reads and comments and votes! They mean so much to me :)