Chapter 14- Regret

A bundle of hay is strung out on the floor,which I am guessing is the source of the noise. Suddenly it becomes very quite. The only source of noise seems to be the animals in the barn. Liam seems to have taken quite a severe step away from me. Like that would help, I think. 

Harry looks very flustered. My only guess is that I do too. I nervously run my fingers through my hair and pleadingly look at Liam. He doesn't catch it. However, I think Harry might have. 

"Um...this is not what it looks like," Liam says awkwardly. He has never been the best with words. Harry's eyes furrow, not quite convinced. 

Harry lets out something like a cough. "Um well, it's really none of my business, I was just doing my rounds. I'll uh let you two get back to whatever it is you're doing." Harry purposely avoids my gaze and starts to walk off. 

"Harry wait," I urge and step forward but it doesn't make a difference. 

He turns back around and picks up the hay he dropped. Still avoiding my eyes he says, "really I don't need an explanation." He walks off leaving me awkwardly with Liam. I sigh and run my hands off my face, hoping that maybe it will get rid of my embarrassment. The look on Harry's face was awful. He looked so hurt. I have never seen anyone look so distraught before. 

I hear Liam sigh next to me. He reaches for me but I unknowingly pull away. "Look, I am sorry. That was very forward and impolite of me to do. I should not have done that." Regret. That is what I see all over his face. Just what every girl wants to see after a guy tries to kiss her. I know he is just trying to be sweet, but still. 

I nod understandably, "It's okay. Honestly, we can just forget about it." I don't stay behind to hear a response. I walk off, back to the house. I just want to go to bed. I take notice that there are footsteps following me. When we make it back to the house both of our parents are seated in the leaving room. Curtly I say that I am going to bed, much to my mothers displeasure, and quickly say goodbye. I wave goodbye to Liam, avoiding his gaze much like Harry did to me. 

I flop onto my bed, to lazy to change into my nightgown. With all the commotion today I can tell it took quite a toll on my body, yet I still can't seem to sleep. Harry's face just keeps flashing before my eyes each time I close them. I can't help but wonder if this and some of the previous encounters we have had could possibly be related. Like when he started to avoid me after we had a lovely picnic not to long ago. Could Harry possibly have feelings towards me? 

No, he can't. I've just been plain, old Harley. The girl he works for. Plus, my parents would never allow it. Oh, and Liam. Except I can't ignore what I have been feeling since Harry has been back. Throughout my life I have not encountered many men that I like. I don't know all the ups and downs to everything. It is all guess work to me. I've never even kissed a guy. Yet, I cannot help but think that the way I am feeling means something. Maybe that crush I had on Harry when I was younger is coming back. From the look on Harry's face tonight, it only makes me think that he might feel the same way. 

--------------

I wake up to a knock on my door. "Miss, your father would like to see as soon as possible." I sigh and let out a very audible groan. I vehemently get out of bed and pick out a periwinkle blue dress and white flats. I splash my face with the lukewarm water in the basin on my vanity. It wakes me up just a bit. There is a white fluffy towel nearby to dry of the dripping water. I decide to brush my hair slightly and just put it in a bun. 

Now what could my father possibly want? I haven't done anything wrong. Except if you count my abrupt departure last night. 

Nervously I make my way downstairs. I see my mother sitting at the dining hall table eating breakfast; however, I don't see father. Where could he be? Ginnie comes into view. A small smile adorns her face. What is she so happy about?