Chapter 20

*** Scarlett's P.O.V ***

I slowly opened my eyes to be facing the ceiling, a white speckled ceiling. Wait! Where am I- Everything started to flash through my mind. Oh god. I lost it didn't I?

"Y-Yeah you did S-Scar," Ali's voice echoed through the room.

I slowly sat up and looked over at Ali who was in a chair to my right. Her hair was messy; she looked wicked tired and had a tear streaked face.

"I-I did," I asked as I put my hands up to my face, "O-Oh god."

Ali scooted closer and rubbed my upper arm calmly, "I'm sorry Scar. She would have been a great person."

"I-It was a girl?"

"Yeah."

I burst into tears and laid back in the bed. The speckled ceiling seemed as if it was caving in. My hands slowly made their ways back to my side, where they just sat almost motionless. Ali grabbed my right hand and didn't say a word... I really appreciate that.

After a while the door was opened and Adam came through. His eyes slowly drifted from the ground and then up to me. He gave me a little smile and made his way to the left side of the bed, kissing my cheek before sitting down in a chair.

"D-Do you want to tell Carl or should one of us?"

I looked down at my stomach, where my daughter should be, and replied, "I-I'll tell him..."

"Are you alright to do it by yourself," Adam asked looking into my eyes with a quite serious look on his face.

"I-I don't know... Can you be here when I call him?"

"Yeah honey, whatever you want," He replied as he pulled my phone out of his pocket.

When did he get that?

I slowly took the phone into my shaky, sweaty hands and carefully unlocked it seeing that is was 7 O'clock AM. As I unlocked the phone a ton of things about what I should say ran throughout my mind, pretty quickly I may add. My fingers quickly fumbled as I dialed Carl's number. Once it was in I pressed calls and put my left hand in my lap, bringing the phone up to my ear.

After two rings a very sleepy Carl answered, "Scar, do you realize it's like 4 O'clock?"

"I-I... Carl, I know what time it is. It's just," I trailed off as I closed my eyes lying further back in the bed.

Adam grabbed my hand as Carl spoke again, "Is Jacob ok? Are you ok? Är det baby ok?" (Is the baby ok?"

"Uhh... Jacob is fine... I'm fine... b-but w-we lost our b-baby girl," I replied as I opened my eyes letting tears flow freely while I gripped Adams hand tighter.

"Vad," He whispered.

*** Carl's P.O.V ***

"Vad," I asked as I fell back on my bed. Scar didn't say anything... "I'll call you back Scar... I gotta go talk to coach."

"A-Alright. I-I love you," She replied and hung up almost instantly.

"I love you too," I said into the phone even though she wasn't there.

We lost it. We lost our baby. We lost our baby girl. We lost our baby and I wasn't even by her side to comfort her. I left our friends to help her.

Realization hit me and I quickly got out of bed and grabbed my sweatpants up from the ground pulling them on. I tripped making my way out the door but somehow didn't wake Marchand. Once out of the room I ran down the hall to Coaches room and rapidly knocked on the door. About 2 minutes later the door finally swung opened.

"What are you doing Soderberg? It's like 4 Am," Claude exclaimed as he made weird hand motions.

"I-I," I stumbled upon my words, "Scarlett just had a miscarriage... I need to go home."

He looked down and took a deep breath before saying, "Alright... Go home... and make sure she's alright. I'm sorry for what happened Carl."

I gave him a slight nod, "Thank you Coach." Then I turned around and ran back down the hall to my room. I quickly barged into the room and started frantically throwing all of my stuff into my suitcase. Just as I started to zip up my stuffed suitcase Marchy started to wake up.

"Woah! Bro, what the heck are you doing," He asked once he became coherent enough to realize what was going on.

"Well," I started as I walked over to the wall to unplug my phone charger and stuff it in my carry on, "Some... unfortunate event's happened at home and... I need to go home. My kid needs me and my wife needs me. You probably don't know what that's like yet... But you'll see once your kids get here."

"Woah, woah, woah! Dude! Calm down. What happened," He asked as he hopped out of the bed and stood in front of me to slow me down because I was walking back and forth sorting things out. I looked down at him with a serious face. He slowly pushed me back to the bed and mad me sit down so I was now looking up at him.

"I-I," I looked down at my left hand where my wedding ring was on the ring finger, "she had a miscarriage." A stray tear fell from my right eye and trailed down my cheek.

"Sh-She was pregnant," Brad asked as his brown eyes went wide.

"Yeah.., Now if you don't mind... My family need's me," I stood up, grabbed my suitcase and made my way out of the room.

I could faintly hear Brad yell "I'm sorry" before I was too far away from the room to hear him. Once in the elevator I pulled out my phone and called Scarlett telling here I would be there as soon as I could be. We also arranged for Adam to pick me up from the airport so I could see Scar right away.

A few things you learn from something like this is;

1) Don't take anything for granted.

2) Still go on with life.

And finally 3) Always do as much as possible for your family no matter what it is.

How was it? What do you think will happen next? And Thanks for the Birthday wishes!!! :D

Vote/ Comment/ Add :)

Thanks for reading! - JJ :)