Chapter Seven - The Opportunity I Never Knew I Had

For this chapter i would like to thank my friend digitalbrew for editing EVERYTHING IN THIS PART! hahaha so sorry for the trouble, but i still love you helped me!

thanks MIYAGI-SAN!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7

The Opportunity I Never Knew I Had.

“Please take a sit.” With a polite wave of her hand, she motioned me to the spot in front of her desk. “Have you ever heard of the LEP experience?” Ms. Rowley inquired, leaning forward while intertwining her hands.

I shook my head.

“Well, LEP stands for Literature Exchange Program. As its name suggests, it’s an initiative created by the BC College Faculty of Arts. Only a handful of high school students go on a six-month intense course to develop their skills in the art of writing, to ultimately compete for a full scholarship.”

My heart started to dance a Brazilian Samba inside my chest. I was sweating and trembling, knowing and not knowing, at the same time, what was coming. I mean, I did not think she was telling me all that just to say afterwards, “Well, now that you know, you can go and have your lunch. Have a nice day.” Still, I wasn’t exactly sure what her intentions were with all that talk out of nowhere.

Do I have a chance in this program?

“What are the requirements to get a spot there?” I questioned instinctively, surprising myself with my just-out-of-nowhere enthusiasm.

“They are very selective in this aspect as they know hundreds, even thousands of applicants trying to get into this program. Majority of which are barely knowledgeable about the theme. I won’t be surprised to hear prodigies coming out of this course. After all, it is a matter of perception whether you and I share the same point of view and possess enough objectivity to deliver balanced judgments on the literary works of others.”

Of all that talking, the word ‘prodigies’ appeared in my head with the most annoying neon sign in the world.

“The board committee established that only the students who followed their standards would be considered for the final phase. First, they take into account the student’s academic performance over the years. Thus, only those who have been top students in the last three years of high school, at least in this subject, will have a place in the first phase. You would need to have a minimum of three essays that have participated in the different contests held by The Literature and Language Association, The National Library, Library of Congress or any other similar organization. You’ll need to be in your senior year, and finally, you would need a recommendation letter from your English teacher and the director of your school.”

I dig an imaginary hole in my seat every time she mentions one requirement after another. “Wow! That’s a lot, and they’re virtually impossible to obtain.” I commented whilst imagining all the A-class students that will be featured among the applicants.

“It’s not so hard as it sounds. Of all our students, I believe you are the only one who qualifies for this event. For one, you have been a top student since you entered West Coast High School. You are currently at your senior year, and if I’m not mistaken, you’ve won writing contests where you have placed first and second, not to mention having participated in five others as well, all of which held by organizations approved by the LEP Board Committee. All you need now are the two letters, but those are already a given Miss Robin Strauss.” She winked at me as she finished the explanation.

I was speechless. She would give me a recommendation letter? I can’t believe I had such a cool teacher. When she says it that way, it doesn’t sound so bad. You’d even think I was quite a catch. Such a pity those achievements were in my early years of being writer. I didn't think winning a contest with “The Monster under My Bed” could have such a strong impression on the judges.