Chapter 5

As the week past Lyra got another howler from her father saying that since she did not bother to get resorted she was officially disowned

As the week past Lyra got another howler from her father saying that since she did not bother to get resorted she was officially disowned. But She didn't let that bother her. She had her friends by her side and had decided to focus on her studies.

They had to study the night skies through their telescopes every Wednesday at midnight and learn the names of different stars and the movements of the planets. Which was quite easy for her since majority of the people in her family were names after stars and constellations. Lyra being one of them.

Three times a week they went out to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a sweet little witch called Professor Sprout, the head of Hufflepuff. In Herbology they learned how to take care of all the strange plants and fungi, and found out what they were used for.

Easily the most boring class was History of Magic, which was the only one taught by a ghost. Professor Binns had been very old indeed when he had fallen asleep in front of the staff room fire and got up next morning to teach, leaving his body behind him. Binns droned on and on while they scribbled down names and dates, and got Emetic the Evil and Uric the Oddball mixed up.

Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk. He was the head of Ravenclaw House.

One Professor Lyra took a particular liking to was Professor McGonagall, The head of Gryffindor. She was very clever, strict and most importantly fair.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned." Was the first thing the Professor McGonagall had said to them in class.

The only person who managed to get a rare smile from the Professor was Hermione.

Once Transfiguration was over everybody left but Lyra. Professor McGonagall was busy writing something when she realized a student was still there.

"May I help you Ms. Malfoy?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"I was just wondering if I can ask you a question?" Lyra asked.

"You just did but you may ask me another one." The Professor told her.

"Professor McGonagall takes a long time to say can I call you Minnie?"Lyra asked with a smile.

Professor McGonagall just stared at Lyra with a blank expression and went back to writing.

Lyra smiled when she didn't hear a 'no.' Lyra made a mental note to always call Professor McGonagall Minnie for as long as she is in Hogwarts.

As Lyra left McGonagall shook her head as Lyra reminded of a particular group of students. Upon remembering those students McGonagall grew sad.

Oh how the war had changed everything...
______________________________________