Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I love targets. Especially when they're painted on other people's backs.

Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     The vultures were circling. With Vincent in the hospital, some bright sparks had thought it would be the perfect time to make a move on Roman’s empire. That was so not the brightest move on their part. While it was true that Tony was known to be the muscle, Roman had the sadistically megalomaniacal bend that, in my opinion, made him the more dangerous. The more brutal the killing, the greater the chance Roman had taken a personal involvement. Heavies from interstate and the outer suburbs had been invading Roman’s borders and the atmosphere of the underworld was tense.

    Life at the campsite wasn’t fairing much better. As predicted, some people had moved on; those either not comfortable with the rules or the company, who knows. Most, however, had stayed. The highlight of my week had been catching the person who had been raiding the yabby net. Sadly, the big mouthed Jacob was there at the confrontation and informed him of the camp’s ‘no fighting’ policy. So, Dog Meat had became our latest resident. Temporarily denying me the pleasure of beating him to a pulp. But I could wait.

    Petra was still sad about Matthew; the poor duck. She had always had a bit of a crush on him. When she had skipped two grades and joined the same year level as us, Matt had actually bloodied a kid’s nose for teasing her. Back then; I hadn’t been so aggressive or confident.

   In hopes of food and amusement, Petra and I had left early that morning. Jacob was up on the hillock again talking to the ever-growing crowd. I never really paid attention to what was being said, but given what was going to happen, maybe I should have. But at the time, I couldn’t have been bothered.

    The gate had just come into view when Dino came racing up. He sniffled when he met up with us, running his hand through his dirty hair, but stayed silent. Sookie had lasted four days which, to give her credit, was two days longer then I thought she would. One morning when Dino woke up, she just wasn’t there. He had been in a panic, racing around the camp, looking everywhere for her. He was convinced something horrible had happened to her. Jacob and Petra had eventually calmed him down with platitudes and that was when he told his story.

   His parents had been firmly middle class; his dad had a job at one of the car factories while his mum was a clerk at a bank. The dad had lost his job first, but it wasn’t long before the mum had lost hers too. The bank she used to work for repossessed their house when they stopped making payments and they started moving from house to house, state to state looking for work. One day when he and Sookie got home from school the house they had been squatting in was empty. Thinking that their parents had just stepped out for a bit, they had waited on the verandah for four days before admitting defeat. That had been the day I’d met them.

    Now the little blighter wouldn’t let me out of his sight. Man did that boy have abandonment issues. Petra and I had had to quietly step over him this morning as he had taken to sleeping in front of our door. He still worried for his sister, but I hadn’t had the heart to tell him where I had seen her last. I suppose if someone were to have held a gun to my head, I might have been willing to admit that I didn’t mind the kid. He was quick, smart, and was a natural when it came to lifting a wallet.

   “This is my daughter, Kelly. Have you seen my daughter?”

    A woman’s desperate voice broke into my reverie. Looking up, I suddenly realized we had wondered dangerously close to Abbey Way, also know as the Devil’s Runway. The street was filled with strip clubs, nightclubs, and kebab shops. Illegal bare-knuckle boxing was held in the basement of O’Shay’s while over at The Lotus Blossom, there was underground gambling. Out of money and needed a loan? Just pop next door to De’Angelo’s for a slice of pizza and order a ‘Jimmy Special with mustard and gherkins.’ Once one had been thoroughly patted down, they could go and have a chat with Marco. Marco was a great bloke who, for only thirty-five percent interest a week, will lend someone as much money as they wanted. One must remember though, if overly fond of one’s kneecaps, it is important to be punctual with repayments. Basically anything anyone want is for sale if they just knew where to ask. I didn’t mess around on that street and would never steal from any of the punters, especially never from any of the crims. It’s just healthier that way.