I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I had to protect the girls. The two who mattered most. Even though I took the oath, I was still breaking every law there was at court.

"Mr. Dashkov works with earth magic, and some who use that power and are strong in compulsion can influence our basic instincts." I continued, this was easier than the last because it was all the truth. But the next part was harder; I had to talk around my dry throat as I locked eyes with the lawyer. "In this case, he affected her anger and violence through an object."

Victor's choking laugh rang through the courtroom. My pulse quickened, wishing that he was actually choking. By my hand.

The judge, an elderly but fierce woman, glared.

"Mr. Dashkov, please respect the decorum of this courtroom."

Victor, still smiling, waved his hands in apology. "I'm terribly sorry, Your honor and Your Majesty. Something in Guardian Belikov's testimony just tickled my fancy, that's all. It won't happen again."

When no one else said anything, I finished up my statement, and then Christian was called up. As I took my place in the back I glared at Victor's aging head. It was one thing to sit there and smile, but another to laugh and interrupt me.

My blood was boiling through Christian's speech. His part was short. He'd been with Lissa when she'd been taken and had been knocked out. His contribution was being able to ID some of Victor's guardians as the kidnappers. Once Christian had sat down Rose was called up.

My heart quickened. She shouldn't have to do this, this wasn't right. I know she has an opinion but she's up there, unguarded, in front of Victor and his wicked words and staring eyes.

She walked up, looking calm and determined. That, at least, calmed my racing heart a little. As she said her name and gave her oath to be honest I could see her cringe. Although it wasn't physical, more mental. I saw it. I knew her well enough to notice when she was troubling over something that she knew was wrong.

Her version was pretty straightforward. She had details to offer from before the night of the kidnapping, like about where Victor had laid his traps to test Lissa's powers. Otherwise her story lined up with mine and everyone else's pretty well.

When Rose mentioned the charm she glanced at Victor, who was staring intently at her. Making her stiffen, her fingers clutched and unclenched at her sides. A movement that told me she was seconds away from pouncing on him. I was too far away to stop her, and at an angle where she can't see me as well. The best I could do was pray.

For both of us to make it out alive.

Victor had complete power over Rose and me to ruin everything for us in front of all these people- no matter what I had threatened him.

Other than the clutching of her hands I was proud of her for staying so calm. I was satisfied that she had grown so much. Some of it had to do with my trainings, but mostly it was Spokane and Lissa's life that shaped Rose for who she is today: a woman.

When she finished her whole body sagged with relief that Victor hadn't said anything during her testimony. Lissa passed her, taking Rose's place.

As the victim, she offered the first perspective thus far, and everyone there grew caught up in her story. It was compelling; no one had ever heard anything like it. And without even trying Lissa was using her spirit-induced charisma, the same place that came from compulsion.

People were enraptured and sympathetic. When Lissa described the torture Victor had put her through to force her to heal him, faces went pale with shock. Even the Queen's stern mask faltered a little.