Part 20

Chapter 20:

Rose moved in and out of consciousness, and as the plane took off again I had the other guardians set up a station in the back of the rows so I could lay Rose down. I crouched next to her, careful not to let anyone see past my mask. My heart was still pounding for her and my anxiety sharpened my vision.

I had never seen Rose act this way before, she always seemed to be in control when around me. But maybe that was just a mask, maybe she really was dealing with something greater than anything I could imagine, and was too scared to tell me. I recalled the time Rose wouldn't let me see her face after her mother had given her a black eye, my opinion mattered most to Rose, and I should learn to detect when she was lying to me.

A few hours later we arrived in the Academy's grounds. Lissa immediately came to where I was still hovering over Rose. "Is she alright?" I could see that she so much wanted to help heal her friend.

But I shook my head. "We'll take care of her Princess, leave her to us." I nodded towards Alberta, who was standing in the middle of the isle. Reluctantly she left taking Christian with her.

As the students and guardian's filed out, I waited until it was just Rose, Alberta, and I. Lifting her dead weight into my arms, I motioned for us to go. I needed to get her to the infirmary before something else happened to her.

Alberta led the way and was silent. Rose lightly bounced in my arms, as her dark hair brushed my cold cheeks. The smell of her shampoo and skin brought back memories of sparring against her in the gym, of stolen kisses, and of the house in Spokane.

When we walked through the doors of the hospital, the doctor was already fretting around the waiting room. When she saw us she almost squealed as she closed in on Rose. Something inside of me screamed for me to pull the limp girl back, but I restrained as Dr. Olendzki placed delicate fingers on Rose's damp temple.

The doctor furrowed her brow. "What happened?"

As Alberta filled in the other woman, I silently walked behind their bowed heads. Not wanting to interfere, their hushed voices barely carried over to me anyway. I glanced down at Rose, her lips were parted and her breathing came heavy as her eyelids fluttered from whatever dream she was having. I could feel my heart breaking in my chest.

What was wrong with her?

"In here." The doctor's small voice woke me from my trance. I blinked at her as she motioned to a small white room separate from the main room.

Obediently I carried Rose into the small enclosed space and gently placed her on the threadbare cot. Her frame sunk into the white linen as I stepped away and watched her stir slightly.

"How long has she been like this?" The doctor asked.

"Since we landed in Martinville Regional. Which was about three hours ago." Alberta replied.

I couldn't see them, but I could hear the concern in their voices as I continued to watch Rose. A small moan escaped her lips as her eyes began to flutter. My whole chest filled with relief and it took every bit of strength in me not to go running to her side and pull her into me.

I could feel Alberta leaning closer to me, her breath stirred the loose dark strands around my face. "When she wakes, I want both of us to talk to her alone. She'll only listen to us."

I gave a brief nod, never letting my eyes leave Rose.

Dr. Olendzki moved forward then to stand in front of Rose as she began to regain consciousness. When Rose's eyes focused on the doctor, a small smile spread across her lips as she looked down at the girl. "Hello, Rose," she said. "How are you feeling?"