The Cheerleader And The Cage Fighter.... Are Dance Partners? - 25

Start from the beginning

*******

After much complaining (by her) my mum had finally agreed that I could go straight to the gym after the meal. Even then she had only agreed that I could go because I'd lied and told her that she'd been right about me needing to lose a bit of weight and so I'd joined a fat busting exercise class.

Technically I would be exercising loads while I danced so it was only a small white lie.

I wasn't sure why I hadn't told her the truth that I was going to a dance rehearsal.

My dad spoke on his wireless headset the whole drive to the restaurant while my mum gabbled excitedly to me about things like clothes and make up and a new beauty treatment she was going to be having done the next day.

I was only half listening because I was having a poke war with Max in the backseat.

He squirmed and giggled as I poked his side.

"I'm gonna order a ginormous steak" he told me as my dad pulled up outside the restaurant, handing a valet the keys to the car.

We followed him through the luxurious entrance to where a man was stood waiting to greet customers.

"We're the Smithsons, here to dine with the Sykes" my dad said to him snootily.

Sometimes he really infuriated me, he had an ego the size of the moon!

"Ah yes, let me escort you to your table sir" the man replied, gesturing with his hands for us to follow him.

The restaurant was really posh and I imagined the prices would be something ridiculous like $5 for one piece of lettuce.

I spotted Brian straight away sat next to a woman with dark curly hair and a man who looked exactly like Brian, only an older version.

My mum hurried ahead, greeting them all with a kiss on the cheek and exclamations of how great they looked; my dad followed shaking hands with them all.

I slowly walked behind Max, wishing that I could just run off instead of sitting through this meal, my instincts told me it was most definitely going to be awkward.

"Kaydie you sit here" my mum instructed, snapping me out of my daze.

It wasn't a coincidence that the seat that she was indicating was next to Brian.

I did as I was told, sitting down and telling Mr and Mrs Sykes (Martin and Linda) that it was lovely to meet them.

My eyes met Brians and I was surprised to see that he looked just as uncomfortable as I felt; I gave him a reassuring smile.

We ordered our food and I sat there silently while my mum and Linda chatted about a lady they knew and Brian, my dad and Martin talked about Brian doing an internship for my dads law firm. Max was busy playing with bread rolls, making them fight each other.

"What do you want to do after school Kaydie?" Martin asked me after I'd listened to them going on and on and on and on about Brians plans.

"She's going to settle down and get married"

"She's going to study law"

Neither of the two answers came from me.

"Well she'll be settling down after she studies law. It would be nice for her to marry a lawyer like me" my mum gushed.

I cringed when she winked at Brian.

"I like the idea of studying English Literature or Biology" I said quietly.