The Cheerleader And The Cage Fighter.... Are Dance Partners? - 25

Start from the beginning

"Whatever do you mean?" she asked, rummaging through my wardrobe, pulling out random items of clothing.

"You seemed a bit... off" I said gently, knowing how volatile she had been lately and not wanting to upset her.

She paused and looked at me.

"Really Kaydie, you worry too much!" she tutted as if I'd imagined the whole thing.

I was handed a purple dress, black tights and black shoes by her.

"Here put these on quickly" she instructed me.

I stood there confused with the items in my hand.

"QUICKLY!" my mum shouted, making me jump.

"Why?" I asked, chewing my lip, "What's going on?"

My mum let out an annoyed sigh and rushed over to me, pulling my top over my head.

Newsflash mum: I'm nearly 18, not 3.

I wriggled out of her grasp and put the dress on myself.

She was now smiling at me excitedly... almost manically.

"We are going out for a meal with the Sykes" she exclaimed, looking at me as if I should start jumping for joy at this news.

"The who?" I questioned her.

My mum tutted at me again, shaking her head.

"The Sykes! You know their son Brian and I speak to Linda Sykes whenever I see her and I saw her at the nail salon this morning and told her about you and Brian and your blossoming romance and we agreed that we should all go for a meal"

I was actually too shocked to speak.

"Your dad kows Martin Sykes, he's helped his business out with numerous legal matters so he was happy to go too" she continued, not even noticing my reaction.

"Dad's coming?" I blurted out in surprise.

He rarely went out to places with us.

"Yes" mum grinned at me, her eyes lit with excitement, "Martins asked him to set up an internship for Brian so it will be the perfect time to discuss it"

I didn't even know Brian had aspirations to be a lawyer.

"Mum you do know that there is no romance between Brian and me?" I asked awkwardly.

She let out a short, shrill laugh.

"Kaydie, no need to be embarassed!" she replied, tutting yet again, "Brian's a lovely boy, I definitely approve. Now hurry up and finish getting ready!"

It was like talking to a brick wall.

"Mum I have somewhere important to be tonight" I told her, "I really have to be there so I can't go with you for a meal"

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath as if to calm herself down.

"You are going tonight" she said sternly, her eyes still closed, "That is final".

I wanted to argue with her and tell her that no I wasn't going to the stupid meal with her and my imaginary love interest and his family but instead I did the usual Kaydie thing and stayed quiet.

Opening her eyes she gave me a huge smile.

"I'll see you downstairs darling, do hurry up. And you might want to apply some more make up".

With that she was gone and I was left alone with a sinking feeling in my stomach.