Chapter 16

"Hey, boys." Paul announced his presence as he opened the door. After climbing the steps onto the bus, he glanced around the room, trying to figure out what was going on, before quickly deciding that, in light of the boys' behavior the previous day, he already knew what was going on. With that thought in mind, Paul addressed the entire room. "I just wanted to let you lads know that the issue we found with this bus is just about resolved and we should be ready to hit the road within the hour. I also wanted to check and see if there was anything specific you might want one of the assistants to pick up at the store before we head out. I sent a few of them out to grab some groceries for both of the busses, but said I'd text if there was anything else to add to the list."

For a while, no one said anything, and when it became clear to Paul that no one was going to say anything without further prompting, he resigned himself to getting more involved than he really wanted to.

"Look, boys. I know that things have been tough and I need you to trust me when I say that we all want things to get back to normal around here. I don't need to know specifics, but what I do know is that yesterday was the first time in a long while that you lot have been able to agree on something as simple as what to get for lunch. I know that it's not going to be easy, that there are going to be hard days mixed in with the easy ones, but you boys have figured it out before, and I know you'll be able to figure it out again. Ok?"

Forever grateful for their tour manager, Zayn smiled. "Thanks, Paul."

"Of course, Zee." Paul smiled in return. "Now, is there anything I should text to the assistants on the shopping trip? It was a last-minute decision to send them now so we don't have to make any stops later, so if there's anything you want, now's the time to decide."

"Are we not stopping for dinner then?" Louis asked.

"We can, but if you think you can handle preparing something on the bus tonight, then that would help with the time we've lost dealing with the bus this afternoon." Paul explained.

"I don't mind making something." Harry announced.

"Yeah, and I can help." Zayn agreed.

"Well, that's settled then." Louis stated.

"Great! I'll just need a list for that and then anything else the rest of you may need." Paul said.

After a quick conversation, Harry and Zayn were able to agree on what to make for dinner. They were well aware that the rest of the boys would be happy with whatever they chose to make, especially given how much take out they'd consumed over the last few days. Once Paul had his list from them, he gave it a quick once over, eyebrows furrowing as he read the hastily written scrawl at the very bottom. After a moment's hesitation, Paul schooled his expression before nodding, reaching into his pocket to pull out his phone, and heading off the bus.

Knowing that Louis had caught the face Paul pulled when he looked over the list, Zayn gave him a pointed look, silently promising to address it later, before turning his attention back to the younger boys.

"Now that you've had some time to think it over, do you have anything you'd like to say? Questions you'd like to ask?" Zayn prompted.

"I do," Liam spoke up. "We're not kids anymore—"

"Speak for yourself!" Harry interjected.

Liam's unfinished question hung in the air as four heads rapidly snapped in the youngest lad's direction, jaws slack in disbelief.

Taking in the expressions being directed toward him, Harry thought over what he'd just said.

"Haz," Niall questioned hesitantly. "Didn't you just say that—"