Chapter 8

The next morning, once again, Zayn was the first one up. However, unlike the previous morning, Zayn found himself to be in relatively good spirits. As he lounged on the couch, sipping his cup of coffee, a small smile played on his lips as he thought about the progress he had made in getting things back to the way they used to be, the way they should be.

After doling out such a horrible punishment to all three of the younger boys the previous evening, Louis and Zayn had spent the rest of their night making sure the boys knew how much they were loved. The five of them sprawled out on the furniture in the lounge room and watched a movie, only stopping it once to accept their food delivery and resituate themselves to be able to eat and finish watching at the same time. After the movie had finished, it was straight to bed for all of them. However, instead of sleeping in their own beds, assigned by Louis and Zayn, all five of them piled together in the largest bed the suite had to offer.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Zayn acknowledged that it hadn't been the most comfortable or restful night's sleep he'd had, but in the grand scheme of things, that wasn't what truly mattered.

Before long, Zayn was able to make out the distinct sound of feet shuffling against the floor as someone made their way out of the bedroom and into the main portion of the suite. Turning his attention to the noise, Zayn was met with the sight of Liam rubbing a balled fist against his right eye as he yawned and stumbled in the general direction of the couch he was sitting on.

"'Morning, Liam." Zayn greeted.

"M-morning," was the younger boy's sleepy reply.

"Sleep well?" Zayn inquired.

Liam hummed in the affirmative. "I think that was the best night's sleep I've had in weeks, to be honest."

Zayn felt a pit form in his stomach at the admission, buy forced himself to tamp it down. 'You've apologized enough already...Lou said so.'

Sensing his bandmates sudden shift in mood, Liam looked Zayn over with a critical eye.

"That's not what I meant, Zee." Liam assured. "Sure, there's that too," Liam acknowledged Zayn's assumption that his sleep habits had been impacted by his departure and subsequent failure to reestablish normalcy, "but it's been forever since we last slept like that. I've always slept best on the nights that we cram together and share a bed."

Zayn smiled warmly at that. "Me too, Li. It's always comforting to fall asleep knowing that you lot won't be able to sneak out so easily with me and Lou right there." He teased.

Liam rolled his eyes, earning him a playful swat to his thigh, which happened to be the closest part of him within reach. Smiling bashfully at the slight chastisement, Liam asked, "Is there any more coffee left?"

"Yeah, I've only had the one cup so far. There should be plenty left for three more cups." Zayn confirmed.

While Liam wandered into the kitchenette, Harry and Niall stumbled out of the bedroom, Niall rubbing his bum ruefully.

"Morning, lads." Zayn greeted.

Harry smiled, the blanket he had wrapped around his body trailing behind him on the floor. Niall merely pouted at him.

"What's got you pouting so early in the morning, Ni? Did you not sleep well?" Zayn asked.

Before Niall even had the chance to open his mouth to respond, Harry chimed in. "He grumped about having to get out of bed when Louis told us it was time to get up so Lou swatted him a few times."

"You poor thing. C'mere, Nialler." Zayn commiserated, opening his arms wide. Niall immediately made his way to Zayn's side and collapsed against him on the couch, snuggling in for a cuddle.