Chapter 10

It was five extremely tired boys who staggered into their hotel suite that evening. "Right lads, I know you're all tired, but we have to eat something before we can get to bed." Louis announced.

Zayn grunted his agreement while Liam, Harry, and Niall groaned in an effort to express their distaste for that idea. "Hey, none of that, lads," Zayn tutted. "I want all three of you to take showers and get changed into your pajamas. We should be able to get some room service up here by the time you've all finished, ok?"

Before any of the boys could truly protest, Louis stepped in. "Like I said, I know you're tired, but you know you're on thin ice, so if I were you, I'd do as I was told. Move it." He said, not unkindly.

As tired as they were, the younger boys knew better than to test their luck and quickly made their way towards the bathrooms to do as they were told.

Once the boys were out of the room, Louis let out a long sigh.

"You know, sometimes, I feel like a right ass telling them to do something like that, especially when we don't feel like we have the energy to do it ourselves." Zayn admitted.

Louis chuckled at that. "It's part of being parents, Zee."

Zayn snorted in response. "You do realize that we're not their parents, right Lou?"

"Sure as hell feels like it sometimes, dunnit?" Louis shot back.

Zayn had to agree with him on that one. "Well, alright, mum. I s'pose we should get some dinner ordered or else we're going to look like liars."

"Hey! What makes me mum! I could be dad!" Louis protested. "Besides, I'm not the one who suggested dinner would be here by the time they're done showering and changing. That was all you."

Deciding it'd be best for all parties involved to worry about getting dinner sorted first, Zayn rung the concierge. Once that was taken care of, he turned his attention back to Louis, who was standing before him, looking thoroughly unimpressed, hands on his hips and all.

Smirking deviously, Zayn reached into his pocket, pulled out his phone, and snapped a photo. Shaking his head in amusement, he turned the phone around so Louis could take a look. "Need I say more?" he taunted.

The moment Louis' eyes locked on the photo, Zayn witnessed all fight melt out of his posture.

"Whatever, dad." He retorted.

Knowing that he'd won, and not wanting to rub salt into the wound, Zayn attempted to choke down his laughter as he watched Louis turn on his heel and stalk off towards the other boys, probably checking to make sure they were actually doing as they'd been told.

Thankfully, just as Harry, the last of the boys to hop in the shower, made his way out into the lounge, there was a soft knock at the door.

"I'll get it," Louis announced before pushing himself up off the couch. Liam, who'd been leaning against the older lad while they watched television, made a noise of discontent as he shifted onto his hip.

"You alright there, Li?" Zayn asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Yeah, just a bit tender." Liam blushed as he ducked his head.

Zayn suddenly felt a bit apprehensive. "It wasn't that hard of a spanking, was it?"

Liam immediately looked over toward the man who'd rolled in the food cart, face flaming. "Zayyyyn," he whined.

Zayn glanced over to where Liam had just looked and smiled sympathetically. "Don't worry, Li. I'm sure he didn't hear me."

Liam didn't even respond to that.

"Seriously, though, Liam. Are you sure you're alright?" Zayn prodded.

Liam glanced back toward the food cart. Noticing that no one was standing nearby, and figuring that Louis must be showing the man out, Liam decided that he was safe to answer. "I'm fine. It's just, it's been awhile since the last time I was...you know. M'just a bit more tender than usual, I think."

"Alright, lads, time to eat." Louis announced as he walked back into the lounge.

Zayn made to stand up, but quickly realized that he had a little problem to contend with first. Make that two little problems.

"C'mon you two, it's time to eat." Zayn coaxed. He wasn't sure how he hadn't noticed, but Harry had snuggled into his side, opposite Niall, after coming into the lounge, and both had managed to doze off while Louis took care of the food.

Both Harry and Niall made their discontent known. "Noooo, Zee. Don't wanna." Harry grumbled sleepily. "Yeah, Zee. M'too tired." Niall agreed.

Shaking his head, Liam stood up to join Louis, leaving Zayn to deal with the youngest two on his own.

Mentally counting to 10, Zayn turned his attention back to the limpets. "Look, boys. I know you're tired, but you need to eat. If you're so tired, maybe an early bedtime is in order."

Just as Zayn suspected, that's all it took to get Harry and Niall to shake themselves out of it. "I don't need to go to bed early," Niall was quick to assure the older lad. "No, me neither." Harry chimed in.

Not entirely convinced, but not wanting to get into a debate about it, Zayn gave each of the boys a stern look. "I guess we'll just see about that, won't we? Now, go. Louis and Liam are waiting on us."

Dinner passed with light conversation. Once the boys were all seated completely upright at the dining table, they seemed to wake up more fully. As they served themselves and passed dishes around, Zayn couldn't help the smile that tugged at his lips. This was what he'd been missing over the last several weeks. For better or worse, these boys were his family. They'd definitely had better times, and they'd likely confront worse, but there was one thing he knew was certain—they'd get through it, because nothing was better than moments like this.

A/N: I promise I haven't dropped off the face of the earth! Thank you to all of you who have commented in the last couple of weeks. It really gave me the kick in the ass that I needed to get this chapter finished!