Chapter 11

That night, after spending a few hours cuddled up together and watching television, Louis and Zayn laid down the law about bedtime.

"Tonight, we're all going to gather our things and get situated in separate rooms." Louis announced. "It'll be awhile yet before you lot will be sleeping in rooms by yourselves, but I don't think our bodies will be able to handle a second night squished into one bed together."

"We'll be splitting up in to two rooms. Liam and Niall, you will be sharing a room with me. Harry, you'll share with Louis." Zayn explained.

"And just in case you were wondering, unless our schedule conflicts with it, we will be enforcing bedtime for the foreseeable future." Louis chimed in once everyone got moving. "I think we could all benefit from as close to a healthy sleep pattern as possible while we can."

"You've got that right." Zayn agreed.

"Of course, you agree, Zee." Liam teased good-naturedly. Louis, Niall, and Harry joined Liam in laughing at Zayn's expense. They were all well aware of the lad's love of sleep.

"Yeah, yeah. We all know I love my sleep." Zayn relented. "Now, enough chatting, it's time for bed. Liam, Niall, we'll be staying in that room over there. Go on and get yourselves ready for bed. I'll be there in a few minutes."

"You too, Harry. We'll be sleeping in that room," Louis pointed toward the room next to the one Zayn had indicated he'd be sharing with Liam and Niall. "Take care of your night time routine and I'll meet you in there."

While the younger boys went off to do as they were told, Louis and Zayn made their way around the lounge room, tidying up and turning off lights. Before they split off into their respective bedrooms, Louis stopped short. "Five pounds says Niall asks to sleep with you instead of Liam."

Zayn shook his head and snorted out a chuckle. "I think we both knew that the moment we agreed on the sleeping arrangement for the next couple of nights." Louis smiled and hummed his agreement. "I guess that means I won't be sleeping alone tonight either, huh?"

"Nope," Zayn agreed. "There's still a 50/50 chance with Liam, but I'm confident he'll at least start the night in his own bed." Louis nodded thoughtfully, seemingly trying to decide what the outcome would be.

"Well, I guess we best be heading to bed. I'm sure the boys are just about ready for bed by now." Louis announced.

"Yeah, I'm about ready, myself. Night, Lou."

"Night, Zee."

When Zayn walked into the bedroom he'd be sharing with Liam and Niall, he was met with the sight of the younger two standing close to each other, Niall appearing to be upset about something as Liam attempted to comfort him. When the boys continued to engage in their whispered conversation even after he'd been in the room for a few moments, Zayn cleared his throat to gain their attention before asking, "Everything alright in here, lads?"

Once he recovered from being startled by Zayn making his presence known, Niall looked to Liam, who gave him a pointed look. When it became clear to Liam that Niall wouldn't be speaking up for himself anytime soon, he decided to help him out a bit. "Zayn, I Niall has a question for you."

Upon hearing Liam's announcement, Niall directed a wounded look toward him before taking a deep breath and directing his attention to Zayn. Sensing that the younger boy could do with some reassurance, Zayn smiled softly at him, hoping to encourage the boy to ask what he wanted.

"I-I just...I was wondering, you know..." Niall stuttered out.

Trying to be patient, but really wanting to get to bed, Zayn waited a moment for Niall to continue. When it became clear that he wouldn't be doing that, Zayn prompted, "What were you wondering, Niall?"

Niall huffed out a breath as he played with his fingers, feeling nervous for some reason. "I was just w-wondering, um...can I sleep with you? I mean, instead of sharing a bed with Liam?"

Zayn smiled fondly and Niall. 'Well, that didn't take long, now did it?' he thought to himself. Out loud, he answered, "Of course, Nialler." Understanding the reasoning behind Niall's hesitance to ask to sleep with him, Zayn decided to leave his answer at that.

Prior to having taken off like he did, Niall wouldn't have even bothered asking to share a bed, he'd have simply crawled in with him. Now, things were different. The boys were really just beginning to navigate the waters of getting things back to normal, so Zayn understood why Niall might think he wouldn't want to share a bed with him.

In that moment, Zayn felt a strong desire to apologize to both Niall and Liam. However, he knew he couldn't do that. 'Apologizing now would undermine everything I've managed to accomplish over the last couple of days.' Zayn reminded himself.

Moving over to the bed he'd be sharing with Niall, Zayn pulled the blankets back and motioned Niall over. Niall smiled shyly as he shuffled across the room. Before he could hop into bed, however, Zayn wrapped his arms around him and gave him a firm hug. "I love you, Nialler."

Zayn smiled when he felt the younger boy relax into the hug and bury into his shoulder. With Niall tucked against him, Zayn had a clear view of Liam, who looked conflicted.

"Alright, Ni. Why don't you hop in bed? I'm just going to get ready for bed, I promise I'll be quick." Zayn instructed.

Once Niall was situated in the queen size bed, Zayn glanced at it quickly, and made a decision. "You ready for bed, Li?"

"Um, almost. I just have to brush my teeth. I didn't get to do that before you came in."

"Ok, well, why don't we go do that so we can get to bed." Zayn instructed. The pair quickly retrieved their toiletry bags and headed into the bathroom to brush their teeth. Once that task was complete, Zayn stepped out of the bathroom while Liam stayed behind to use the restroom. While Liam took care of business, Zayn made quick work of changing into his nightclothes and turning off all of the lights, except for the one next to the bed.

"Nialler," Zayn whispered. The blonde had dozed off smack dab in the middle of the bed. "Ni, I need you to scoot over, ok?"

"Hmmm," Niall hummed. His eyes fluttered briefly before he worked up the energy to scoot over to the edge of the far-left side of the bed.

"Thank you, Ni. I'll be there in just a minute." Zayn promised.

Before long, Liam made his way out of the bathroom and started heading towards the unoccupied bed. Prepared for this, Zayn intercepted Liam with a gentle hand on his shoulder and steered him to the bed Niall was occupying.

"Time for bed, Li. I'm going to hop in the middle. Can you please get the light before you get situated?"

As the oldest of the younger three, Liam liked to put on a tough guy front in front of Niall and Harry. Zayn and Louis made a point to keep an eye on the lad's body language and facial expressions when he didn't think anyone was looking. Zayn hadn't missed the look on Liam's face while he had Niall wrapped up in a hug, leading him to believe that the lad was in need of comfort just as much as Niall was. His theory was proven correct when Liam didn't protest in the slightest.

"Ok," Liam agreed. He waited patiently as Zayn got himself situated in the middle of the bed. Once there was room, Liam sat on the edge of the bed, turned off the light, and swung his legs up onto the mattress. He attempted to situate himself to sleep, but there wasn't exactly much wiggle room.

"C'mere, Li." Zayn patted his chest.

His eyes having adjusted to the darkness, Liam noticed that Niall had already snuggled into Zayn's right side, head pillowed on his chest. After a moment's hesitation, Liam agreed. "Yeah, ok." He whispered.

When Liam finally settled, Zayn settled his hand on his back and started rubbing soothing circles, matching the pattern he was already drawing on Niall's back.

"G'night, boys." Zayn murmured softly.

The only answer he received was the sounds of soft snores. 

A/N: I struggled soooooo much with this chapter! I feel like I started it at least a dozen different ways before I finally ended up with something that flowed decently. It ended up being more of a filler with adorableness at the end, butI think I got past my writer's block :)