Chapter 22- Blood Bath.

I fled down the maze of streets with Shir by my side

I fled down the maze of streets with Shir by my side. I figured that if I just kept running, I would eventually recognized the street corner that lead to Dante's mansion.

Malvin and Veera were chasing after me and I could vaguely hear them calling my name. They were telling me to slow down. Yeah right.
I was assuming they were dragging Jeremiah with them but I didn't bother to check.

He has to be okay... I thought to myself. He has to be.

I ran straight to the security desk without hesitation. There was the same man from the night that I'd been there with Jake. He was slouching in a chair and reading a magazine.

I impatiently patted Shir on the head and she let out a massive roar. The guard nearly jumped out of his skin, finally taking notice of me.

"Let me in!" I screamed at the house, knowing Dante was probably watching from a monitor somewhere.

"You wanted me here!" I bellowed. "I'm here."

The guard swore behind his glass box and suddenly gates opened. We ran inside before the others could follow.

"Jake!" I yelled, the moment that I was through the door. "Jake!"

Seeing the house this empty, made it look a whole lot bigger. I didn't even know which way to go. Where would he be? Maybe in the room that I'd stolen the podium from? That would be poetic.

Then I heard the screaming.

I sprinted into the next room, following the noise until it got me to where I needed to be.

Dante was there sitting on the couch. His hand was resting on the table, curled around his drink. All I'd seen was the back of his head but he appeared to be watching the one side of the room tentatively.

But instead of a flat screen television, Jake was squirming around, bound by his feet and arms to the centre of the wall.

I rushed over to him without hesitation. I was so closed to reaching him. So close to touching him again. Realistically, I knew there would be obstacles in the way. I'd predicted that someone would stop me but I was surprised at who had been the culprit.

Jake pulled at his chains and yelling wildly. Shir grabbed my shirt with her mouth and tugged me back just before he could get a hold of me.

I watched in horror as he continued to rattle around like a lunatic.

Pure anger.

The man I loved was standing in front of me like an animal, ready to bite me for a daily snack.

I jerked backwards, wide-eyed.

"Jake."

His hair was messy and he didn't seem to recognize me at all. More importantly, his eyes were flashing an intense colour of gold. I'd seen beauty in his eyes before. They'd even inspired me to love my own unique glow. But right now the gold was fuelled by anger and it scared me.