Chapter 13-Stars

We made it back to Malvin's cult that night

Once again I hadn't slept in days. I was so exhausted that I barely managed to argue with Jeremiah for Jake and Veera to take up residency.

I'd left Shir sleeping (comfortably) outside the amphitheatre because I figured a lion walking into the place would freak them out.

Obviously that had been a good call since the cult had been so persistent to kick Jake and Veera out.

I didn't realise cults were so picky.

The only benefit that I had was that Jeremiah hadn't seemed to realise who Jake and Veera really were.

I had a feeling the moment he found out, poor "Mr Maxwell" would be out on his ass.

"Please Jeremiah." I nagged. "They're my friends. You said you wanted me here. Either they stay or I go."

Jeremiah sighed reluctantly. "Fine."

He then proceeded to ask the two of them if they'd be comfortable with staying in the same tiny little room together since there was a shortage of places left.

I felt a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Suddenly I remembered the first time that I'd met them and they were busy being... intimate.

Jake immediately said no.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "It's not like you haven't been roommates before."

I'd immediately realised how jealous I'd sounded. My cheeks heated up but it's not like I could take it back.

Jake simply gave a curious look and said, "I'm sure."

"Well then, Pacem will just have to stay with Malvin." Jeremiah concluded.

On the way to the huts, Malvin emerged and was running in my direction with a hop in his step.

Veera's face literally had turned green at the sight of him. I thought she might turn back there and then. I certainly wouldn't have stopped her.

When Malvin reached me he leapt into a hug which nearly made me fall over since he was ten times stronger than me.

I guess hugging was our thing now.

We walked with Jeremiah as he showed Veera and Jake to their huts. I'd noticed that Jeremiah had been very abrupt when he addressed them compared to the false warm welcome he had first given me.

Obviously there wasn't a lot of trust in his circle.

Luckily it didn't matter. Jake said that all I needed to do was show these people what I was capable of and they'd follow me.

I grinned at the thought.

The whole thing was slightly idealistic. Especially coming from Jake, but his faith in me only made me want to try harder.