Chapter 12- Passion

Something snapped inside of me after seeing Jake

Something snapped inside of me after seeing Jake. I had no idea why he was there, but I just pushed past him and ran out into the forest.

Shir followed me and observed curiously.

"I just need five minutes to pull myself together," I told her.

Shir turned her head as if I was a crazy person and then relaxed into a sitting position, wagging her tail playfully.

I placed my hand on her head and stroked her so at least one of us could feel relaxed.

"Pacem?" Jake's voice called from behind.

"Leave me alone!" I snapped.

"It's all over now. Everything's-"

"Everything is not okay!" I yelled. "I don't even understand why I'm here, Jake! It probably would have all been better if I'd just stayed with Alluna!"

His eyes widened. "Do you really believe that?"

"I don't know."

Jake put his hands on my shoulders and I couldn't help but meet his gaze. We stared at each other in silence for a moment and the world seemed to make a little more sense again.

"Dolly Clearwater was one of the first Karnoi activists to fight against the Mercia," he said. "They ruled before Alluna and they were set out to kill every Karnoi alive and breathing."

"Jake-"

"She used that podium." He pointed to the object cradled in my arms. "And her eyes were the same colour as yours."

He suddenly had my attention.

It all made sense to me now. People were so impressed by the red because they saw it as a symbol. I reminded them of Clearwater.

"That's how you knew that I'd be able to work the podium."

"The eyes of a leader." Jake nodded. "Someone who can lead us to peace. You're special, Pacem."

"I'm just a girl, Jake. I'm not Clearwater."

A tear ran down my cheek but he wiped it away.

"I've never met anyone like you in my entire life. You have so much hope and ambition. People around here don't even know what those things are anymore. All you have to be is yourself."

I paused for a moment studying him.

"Do you know where I'm from?" I asked. "South Africa. It was Post-Apartheid and even though it was supposed to be all rainbows and butterflies, there was still so much... tension. Both sides just wouldn't listen to each other. I've seen this all before Jake. People don't just let go of their grudges. Everyone has their own experiences that shape what they believe."

"We don't have to fix it all at once, Pacem. But even if we can make a small improvement isn't that something?"

I smiled up at him. "We?"