2.26 | Ghost From Past + Mother & Child

Start from the beginning

I sent Payal and Aman a quick look as we all got in line to get to work. I, however, took a detour towards Arnav. "So, Jennifer?"

He answered, looking up from the tablet, "Figured I'd let that one be a surprise for you." I grinned at his answer. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. "I take it she invited you to dinner tonight as well?"

I nodded, "Seems like it."

"See you tonight, then." He said, getting up and leaving early - probably so he could go find Aarav that way Lavanya could return to the studio and complete her side of the work. It was amazing how the two worked to look after Aarav, and despite being around all the time, I barely saw the two communicate. I had no idea how they managed it so effectively.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.26.2 : M O T H E R - A N D - C H I L D . . . |

I looked around the hotel restaurant and finding Arnav and Jennifer, I walked towards their table. When I was a few steps away, I heard Jennifer clear her throat. Arnav rolled his eyes, but got up nevertheless to pull a chair out for me. "Happy?" He snapped at Jennifer, who grinned at him.

"Very." She answered as I took a seat. While he pushed it in for me, his hand grazed my back. Through the thin top, the heat easily radiated to me. He didn't seem to realize, as he casually walked back to his seat. She looked between the two of us, and then exhaled happily. "Ah. It's been so long. I swear I've missed you both so much!" Then she scolded me, "And you, I'm a little mad at you. I get that you weren't friends with Arnav, but while you were still in Australia, you could have still visited, you know?"

"I know, I have no excuse. I'm sorry." I apologized. I shouldn't have avoided the shelter simply because I didn't want anything to do with Arnav.

She smiled, accepting it. "Forgiven."

"Now, start talking." I ordered her, curious to know how she is in Rome right now.

"Well, I think about a year after you last visited, Arnav told me about a charity show Anjali di was putting together. I wanted to do something for the cause so I offered to be one of the models. There were a few photographers there who were impressed, Felix being one of them. After the show, he talked to me, asked me if I would like to work with him. Ofcourse, modeling was never one of the options for me, you know? I'd just never thought about it. But, then I thought, why not? I wasn't doing anything at the shelter. Arnav wasn't too happy letting me come all the way to Rome by myself, but I eventually managed to convince him and here I am!"

Arnav scoffed, "I'm still not happy. I don't trust Felix."

Jennifer took his hand in hers, "Hey, I told you to not be so protective. Felix is a harmless flirt, and if anything, he may as well see me as a sister."

I assumed there was an age difference between the two for sure.

Arnav remained on his stance, "Still."

Jennifer shook her head, dropping the idea of convincing him otherwise. "Anyway, your turn Khushi. How did you end up at AR?"

I laughed, "Oh, you'd have to thank Kripa for that. She went behind my back to apply there for me. I have no idea Arnav owned it."

He corrected, "Di owns it."

I gave him a look, "Does it make a difference?" He shrugged his shoulders, knowing it didn't. Either way, it was owned by the family.

Jennifer laughed at the frown he passed along, "Hey, you know, you should come with us to the shelter during Christmas. Since Arnav is in India and I am here, we don't get to visit often. But we make it a point to go during the Holidays. I know for a fact Martha and Annie would love to see you again."