3

I hurried on my way to the CCPD, hoping to borrow Barry's lab to run some tests on the evidence I found. I focused more on the rag doll than I did the written note. The rag doll had some human hair on its head, which I wasn't quite sure about how it got on the doll, but whatever.

As the doors of the elevator started closing, somebody's hand shot through to stop it and hop on. It belonged to none other than Barry Allen, so I took my chance to ask him.

"Hey Allen, do you mind if I use your lab to run some DNA tests? For a case I'm working."

"Oh no, yeah. That's fine," he nodded and smiled at me. "What case is it though?"

"A personal one," I said quietly. He nodded his head in understanding as the doors open, so I looked around and started gently dragging him to his own lab by the arm. Once we go there I turned on him,

"Can I trust you?" He blinked.

"What? Can you- yeah, you can trust me, Ari." He looked really anxious and stuck his hands in his pockets, rocking back on the heels of his feet.

"Okay, so I was doing some personal research about people who were affected by the particle accelerator explosion, like you-"

"What? What do you mean I was affected?" he defensively asked. I stared at him.

"Barry. You were in a coma... for nine months."

"Oh, yeah." He looked frazzled like there was something more, but he didn't speak up so I continued.

"Anyway, so this morning I wake up and there's this file I've literally never seen before, unmarked and all it had were reports about a patient affected by the explosion. They diagnosed him with schizophrenia but I don't think that was it at all," I walked over to his equipment and started setting up a DNA test, carefully removing strands of hair from the doll. I put my hands down in front of me and looked at him. "I think he had... powers."

Barry stared.

"Powers? Really?" I scoffed.

"C'mon Allen, you're the most interested person when it comes to the impossible. Why wouldn't you believe it's happening now?" I looked at him with pleading eyes, begging for him to believe me.

"Because until you show me some evidence, I am going to remain skeptical. And also, why 'had?'" I thought for a second and snapped my fingers, opening the strange file.

"Here, there's a video case number here, I think it might actually be locked up in evidence," I murmured. "Oh, and he died." I met Barry's intrigued, shocking emerald eyes and he rolled them, waving a hand forward like he was waiting for me to lead the way. I grinned.

Behind me there was a little beep and I turned to check on the DNA sample. It was definitely a man's, so I let it run through the database while I walked down to evidence lockup with Barry.

⚡︎

"Not going to lie, I was extremely shocked to actually find the video tape down there," I told Barry.

"Why?" he asked.

"Just think about it. I haven't told anyone about my personal research besides you now, and this morning a mysterious case file I've never seen before shows up? To which I might add wasn't even a police file, it looks like a psychiatric ward report. Then I find exactly what I'm looking for in evidence. Coincidence?" I asked. He laughed and shook his head,

"No, I think not. You are right though, that's really strange. If you need any help I'm-"

"Barry, there you are! Oh and hey Arielle." Iris was sitting down in his lab dressed up nicely and waiting impatiently. "Where have you been? We were supposed to go out for-"

"-a celebratory lunch for me waking up, damn I forgot. I'm so sorry Iris, really. I just uh, got caught up with work," he scratched the back of his neck.

"But you said you didn't need to do anything but go in to grab something?" I bit my lip, realizing it was all my fault.

"That's on me, Iris. Sorry, I asked for some help with something and we got totally sidetracked. My bad," I sheepishly blushed and crossed my arms in front of me. She just smiled.

"It's alright, just lunch. How about dinner instead, Bar?" he nodded in response and I looked down at my small heels, feeling awkward since I wasn't a part of this. Iris noticed and asked, "Do you wanna come too? I mean it's only fair if you do." Barry was confused.

"Wait, why is it only fair?" he inquired with confusion writing all over his face.

"Ari is the reason you're standing here today," Iris proudly announced. I blushed even harder and shook my head,

"That's not even remotely true. Anybody else would have found him, especially since his lab got struck by lightning. I just happened to be on my way up here anyway. It was no big deal," I waved it off. Barry's eyes glittered with awe and he smiled widely,

"No big- no big deal? You saved my life," he countered. I shrugged, nodding my head. He looked distraught for a second, looking between Iris and I. "Can- can I just hug you? In thanks," he awkwardly asked. I returned the smile he had before and stepped forward, putting my arms around his waist since he was so tall.

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders, squeezing me slightly but not letting go. I processed the thought that it might be a bit much for him, finding out I potentially saved his life and made sure he was safe. His embrace was soft and warm, and I felt so comfortable I almost didn't want to let go. I didn't let go until he did.

"Awh, well that's just so sweet I wanna cry," Iris cooed. I softly glared at her,

"Don't start this again, West." She shrugged her shoulders and started to leave the room.

"I'll text you details about tonight, okay? Look your best," she called out behind her and then she was gone.

I turned back to where Barry was standing, over by the computer I was running DNA analysis on. Walking over I saw it found a match for a man named Michael Weiss, who matched the description perfectly. His wife died in the explosion and he was sent to the Central City Psychiatric Facility down by Iron Heights.

"Guess you found your mystery man."