Chapter Forty Nine

Colbie couldn't even get out another word before Ruby launched herself at her, sending them tumbling down to the ground. Colbie groaned, mud splattering up on her face and all up her back. "Ruby? Geez--"

"You're alive--I should've known you didn't die, but when your earpiece just stopped working..." Ruby whimpered, hugging her. "God dammit, Colbs."

Colbie laughed, rubbing Ruby's back with her hand. "I'm not going to die. No way." A strike of fear went through her like a lightning bolt before she shook it off. You don't know that you're not going to die, Colbie. Everyone could.

"Promise?" Ruby asked, sitting up. She got off of Colbie, sitting on the squishy wet ground. She squirmed for a few minutes before sighing, leaning forward to Colbie.

Colbie grabbed at Ruby's hands, nodding. "I promise, Ruby. Really." Her eyes welled with tears and she looked up, pretending that it was just the rain. She hugged Ruby again, listening to Ruby sob against her chest.

It pained her, almost scared her, that someone could care for her this much. She didn't want to make Ruby like this, a nervous wreck for her wellbeing, and she didn't mean to, either. With Ruby sobbing against her chest, it almost made her brain fizzle out, fear taking hold that she could cause this again with her and next time she wouldn't forgive her. That next time she might not be there to comfort her.

After a while, Colbie pulled Ruby away and looked at her. "You good?" she whispered, pushing her hair out of her face. She gave a small grin at the way her hair stuck up in the rain.

Ruby sniffed and nodded. She didn't even seem to care that her hair was getting soaking wet. "Colbs, ever since Reed thought you died...he has been different. He won't listen to any of us. You need to get him to cooperate with us before we finish this once and all." She rubbed at her eyes, looking at the mascara coming off her eyelashes before scowling, wiping it on her suit.

Colbie got up off the ground, pulling Ruby up with her. "I'll get him to listen," Colbie grunted, rolling up her sleeves. "I think it'd be best to wait into another hut, Ruby. Take Alden with you. I don't know how nasty things will get."

Ruby hugged her once more. "Stop pretending to die so much."

Colbie swallowed, eyes darting toward the entrance of the hut. "I'll...try."

Ruby narrowed her eyes at Colbie and raised her hand, slapping Colbie across the face. "Don't say I'll try. Say you won't," she said, looking upset as ever. "You can't keep doing this and I know you don't mean to, but please, be more careful," she whispered, looking at the red mark on Colbie's cheek. Her eyes were full of tenderness for Colbie.

Colbie winced and gave a smile at Ruby's method of making herself feel better. "I won't pretend to die anymore. I promise." She rubbed at her cheek and hissed. "God, Ruby, you had to slap me, didn't you?"

Ruby nodded. "It was the only thing I felt I really had to do. That I could do. I'm still pissed at you for giving us another scare. Keep it up and I'll hit you with my swords," she warned before standing up with the help of Alden. She whispered into his ear and he sighed, letting himself be dragged away by Ruby into another hut. "Good luck with Reed, Colbie."

Nodding, she stopped in front of the hut for a moment, trying to listen inside. There was no sound beside the rain pounding against her shoulders and the ground. Colbie stepped inside the hut, crossing her arms. "Reed."

Reed didn't move. The only thing telling Colbie was he was alive was the single twitch of his fingers at his name out of her mouth.

"Reed. Look at me."