Chapter Forty Eight

When Colbie landed in Jelua, she didn't expect a monsoon to be happening right where she stood. She also didn't expect water up to her knees and Alden almost landing on top of her as he came through the portal himself.

"Holy shit, this planet is going to be like Corlas soon if we don't stop this!"

Colbie didn't look amused as Alden said that. Mirror images of her panicking on Corlas flooded her mind and she sucked in a breath, trying to kick memories away. Now was really not the time.

"Okay, so, Ruby and Reed said they would meet us at Yagrun Tribe, so...which way do we go again?" Alden said, sloshing through the water. He held out his hand toward Colbie, and she gratefully accepted it.

"Thanks," she murmured over the pounding rain, using her other hand to cover her head. It didn't help much. "Why don't you call them on your earpiece, Alden?"

Alden looked over to Colbie, dripping water flowing down his face. "Oh, right," he said. Tapping the interface as they moved through the soggy grassland and mud, Reed and Ruby's name popped up on his screen. He pressed call.

Colbie couldn't hear them, but she tried to listen to what Alden was saying.

"Yeah, so which way is Yagrun Tribe? I forgot, sorry for taking so long. Yes, I know that this is not the time for getting lost." Alden sounded exasperated.

A pause, Colbie guessed that they were replying toward him or waiting for the rain to lighten up just a smidge before screaming into the earpiece.

Alden groaned. "No, Esoi doesn't have to come--that's so stupid to just--fine. Fine, okay? We--I'll wait right here."

Before anything else could be said, Alden ended the call and sighed. "Sorry--I just want them to be surprised when you appear with me, okay? They've been...different ever since your earpiece went offline." He glanced at the water rising to their waist.

Colbie nodded, staring at the ripples being created from the non-stop pouring rain. "When is Esoi coming?"

"She should be here really, really soon. What's wrong? Your head a little cloudy?" he cheekily asked, pointing up at the clouded, gray sky.

"Yes. It is."

Alden swallowed, busying himself with wiping at the water on his face. "Oh."

After a few awkward moments, Alden and Colbie could see a figure snarling to herself, holding a katana in front of her.

"Alden? Where the hell are you?" Esoi shouted.

It was impressive that she could be heard over the thunderous rain.

"Right here, Esoi!" Alden shouted back, waving out of his hands over his head. Colbie waved her hands too, trying to give Esoi a better area of where they were out. They could barely see, with rivulets pouring down their face and dripping off their chins.

Colbie was practically blinded by the sheer force of the rain coming down in sheet after sheet. "Esoi!" she called, seeing a blurry figure perk her head up. The helmets might help them with head protection, but they weren't so good in keeping water out of their face.

The figure ran toward them and skidded to a stop in the muddy water, steadying herself. Esoi squinted at Alden and Colbie before pulling her lips back into a snarl, pointing her blade at Colbie's chest.

"Who are you? Why are you following Alden? Colbie's dead!" Esoi spat, her eyes narrowing.

Colbie paled, holding up her hands. "Esoi--it's me. Honestly! I'm not dead, I'm alive, and I'm gonna kick Kale's ass if you don't impale me first," Colbie shot back, earning a relieved look from her jab.