Chapter Eighteen

The next few weeks were horrible. Colbie tried to get to Ruby, to talk to her and apologize correctly, but Alden was right there by her side. It was like he was her bodyguard.

Each time she'd try to get Ruby alone, Alden popped his head in and stood beside Ruby until Colbie left. The only one who talked to Colbie anymore, besides Eugene trying to subdue her fears, was Reed.

Colbie turned the corner to the training room, hoping to be alone, but instead was happily surprised by seeing Ruby leaning against the wall. "Ruby!" Colbie said, seeing her alone for the first time in a week. She hurried over, trying to reach Ruby before Alden popped his head into the room and glared at Colbie until she went away.

Ruby turned her head to Colbie and smiled but even Colbie tell that it was forced. "Colbie! Hi!"

"Listen, Ruby," Colbie started, trying to meet Ruby's eyes. Her head wouldn't move from its downcast position. "Ruby, come on, look at me..." She was losing time. Alden could appear around the corner at any moment to stop them from conversing. Colbie gritted her teeth and begged with herself to keep her cool. It's my fault that Ruby is scared anyway, she thought.

"What do you want, Colbie? I need to get to my room..." Ruby muttered, trying to back up away from Colbie. Her hands were shaking.

Colbie glanced to Ruby's hands and faltered. "I'm sorry for bothering you then. I'll leave you alone," Colbie said, turning around to go back into the hallway, leaving Ruby standing there.

Walking down the dimly lit hallway, she felt a little like the lights that barely burned overhead. She felt drained, ashamed, and even a little angry. It wasn't her fault that she had gotten controlled. It wasn't her fault, so why was Ruby acting as if it was? She couldn't control it--she didn't want to hurt Ruby. She'd never want to hurt anyone here, even Alden. She could barely live with herself now, so how would she have felt if she actually had harmed Ruby?

Colbie didn't want to imagine how she would've been. It didn't happen--but it could've. She would make sure that it would never happen again. She couldn't let that happen. She promised herself that it wouldn't happen again.

"Colbie? Are you--"

Colbie flinched and rushed into her room, cutting off the voice in the hallway. She heard footsteps pass her door and stop for a few moments until they faded away further down the hallway.

After staring at the white door on the hinges, waiting for a knock or a noise, she gave up and decided to call it a day. She'd just make it worse if she went out there again. Even so, she wished that she could talk to someone about her feelings. If that's what they were. Emotions? Feelings? She didn't know.

She had never wished for something like that before.

-------------------------------------

The door opened to Colbie's room and Colbie shifted, moving over to face the door. She thought she had locked it to make sure no one came in. Maybe she had forgotten.

Someone popped their head in, peering around as if looking for something and then opened the door fully. They stepped inside and shut the door, the soft click being heard around the room.

Colbie shot up, ready to leap at the intruder. Who the hell was in her room and why the hell were they sneaking around? It's called a knock for a reason, even though she wouldn't have opened the door.

The person froze and tilted their head. "Colbie? You're awake?" A familiar voice broke through the darkness and Colbie's tense form relaxed as she realized who it was.