Chapter 16

We had a plan. By this time next week, we would both be out of this house and on our own again, if neither one of us died during this plan, it was very likely. We wracked our brains for hours trying to think of an alternative, but came up short. We didn't have enough time to keep brainstorming, if we didn't act fast, we would be dead before we knew it.

The week passed by slowly as we put the finishing touches on our escape. Before we knew it, it was the day that we either got out alive, or died trying. We had made sure to keep our distance from the rest of the residents without drawing suspicion to ourselves. Ethan had been spying on some of the group during the week but he hadn't heard anything about our death yet which meant that we still had some time. We spent the day packing our bags with food and bottles of water. We had to get our guns back before we left and we had found out they were in the barn on the side of the ranch. That was part of the plan, it was my job to grab the guns while Ethan distracted.

The group was having another end of the world party tonight and they would be wondering where I was, with me being one of the only girls in the house. We had planned to meet in the kitchen after my job was done where we had stashed the food. We would wait until the kitchen cleared out and make a run for it. It would be dark enough that most of the guards wouldn't see us if we stepped carefully. It wasn't the most intricate plan, but these guys also weren't the smartest so we weren't that worried.

Ethan and I had spent all day in my room talking about everything under the sun. I learned that he had been a football player in high school and wanted to grow up to be a coach for the NFL. I told him how I danced in high school and how I had always wanted to be a nurse. I felt a connection to Ethan that I had never experienced before. I thought about all of the possibilities of how tonight could go wrong and I dreaded leaving him at sundown.

"Olivia?" Ethan asked

"Yeah?" I asked

"Thank you." He said

"For what?" I asked

"For saving my life." He said

"I never saved your life." I said

"After my brother died, I didn't have the will to live anymore. I considered taking my life multiple times. You saved my life the first day I met you. Now I have a reason to keep living...you." He said

I blushed before answering

"I was in a very similar situation before I met you. I didn't think anyone was alive anymore and I didn't see the reason for living in a world that is being destroyed. Now, I can't even imagine dying. I could never leave you, never." I said

"Olivia?" He asked

"Yeah?" I asked

"I lo—I um I think it's time to go." Ethan said as he stood up from the bed

I could see the setting sun reflecting on Ethan's face as I stood up from the bed. I could tell he wanted to say something else, but he stopped himself. We walked closer to each other to say our goodbyes. Ethan opened his arms as I walked straight into them. He wrapped me tightly in his arms as he rested his head on the top of my head.

"Be careful Olivia." Ethan said

"You too." I said

"No, I'm serious, don't do anything stupid." Ethan said

"I won't." I said

We pulled away from each other and I looked Ethan in the eyes not wanting to leave him. I could feel a tear trickle down my face as Ethan quickly wiped it away.

"Hey, this isn't good bye. I will see you in the kitchen... just like we planned ok?" He said

I nodded before I turned to the door and opened it. I looked back to Ethan one last time.

"Be careful Ethan." I said

"Don't worry about me. I'll see you soon." He said

I closed the door behind me and went out into the house alone.