Humanity

Hi guys! I'm back for a week, and then I'm off to Taiwan for almost three weeks... :P

Chapter 16

"You're an idiot," Kakashi deadpanned. I patted him on the shoulder.

"Thanks."

"Did you contact Sakura?"

"Yes, but she's busy with the Kage."

"... Did you even tell her about your injuries?"

Silence.

"Kira."

"No. If I did, she'd come over immediately or otherwise divert their operations, and I can't have that. I'll survive. The Kage are hanging on by a thread."

"What are you going to do in this state? You can't fight."

"I..." I trailed off. There was truth to his words.

Ino was currently patching me up as best she could; she wasn't as well-versed as Sakura was in medical ninjutsu, but she knew a little more than the rest of us. She managed to set my arm right, attach a splint, and bandage it up. She was currently wrapping up what was left of my wings, too, to avoid further harm to the stumps. They would eventually heal on their own, although it would take a while.

I had no doubt that the war would be over by then.

I said, "The Five Kage are currently in a bad state. Our leaders are down. The Allied Forces have incredible morale, but we can't depend on that alone."

'So you're saying you'd rather stay on site,' Shikaku concluded.

"Yes. I would prefer to stay on-site as a temporary figurehead. I've been involved in this war from the beginning, and I'd like to be the only one involved until the end."

"A little late for that," said Kakashi.

'It's a bit late for that, isn't it?' Shikaku's words echoed Kakashi's, but I ignored both of them. 'However, I see the merit in your words. Please continue.'

I thanked Ino for her help and turned to Katsuki, who easily hitched me onto his back and spread his wings.

"Wait," said Kakashi, stretching out a hand to stop us. "What are you doing?"

"I'm fighting in the only way I can," I said. "Naruto, Sakura's almost done helping the Kage and will be here soon. You need to get ready – both of you."

"Don't be reckless," Kakashi warned.

"Don't be stupid," I said, smiling softly. "The tactician's job is always the safest."

I nodded to Katsuki, who took off from the ground. We gained altitude quickly as he drifted back toward where Madara and Obito were standing. As I watched, two Tailed Beast Bombs collided with each other, cancelling each other out.

"Do you have a plan?" asked Katsuki.

"Not yet," I said, "but I'll aim to give the forces a bit of direction, at the very least. Direction and organization."

"Crucial in a war," Katsuki agreed.

"I need two of your fastest fliers," I said.