Chapter 57: You're Mine

Start from the beginning

I grabbed my best friends hand in mine as she went on about Parker. Cassie was beautiful, full of life and love and she deserved someone who could appreciate her. Parker, I decided, could do just that.

"Parker is a great guy, Cass." I thought back to all the times he had helped me -- driving me home from his sister's party, encouraging mine and Brett's relationship. He had always been there for me since the first second I met him and had never been anything short of kind.

"Aside from the fact that he's related to Satan," Cassie said, rolling her eyes as she spoke about Jenny. I choked back a laugh as she continued. "Plus, all your's and Brett's lovey-dovey crap has made me feel lonely as hell."

I pushed her backwards onto the bed as I stood up and walked to my closet, rummaging for a pair of sneakers to wear to Brett's football game.

"Can I invite him tonight?" Cassie called from the bed as I walked out of my closet, sneakers in hand. "Parker," she clarified as I bent down to put the shoes on. "Is it weird if he comes?"

She didn't have to say it, but I knew she was referring to Brett and the tension between the two of them. The last time they were together, Parker ended up with a bloody nose and Brett and I didn't speak for weeks. I laced up my shoe and tried to hide the ache in my heart as I thought back to those days. That was a long time ago. Brett and I had come so far. Whatever problems they had were long over.

I stood straight and ran my hands through my hair. "It's not weird," I reassured her, pushing my hair behind my shoulders. "Parker was never a threat to our relationship. He and Brett just ... got off on the wrong foot, that's all. You should invite him."

Cassie beamed, smiling happily at my words. Her phone was in her hand immediately, thumbs flying across the keyboard as she extended the invitation to Parker.

"This outfit. Yes or no?" I asked again, getting our conversation back on track.

"Definitely a yes." My head snapped to the doorway when I heard his deep voice. Brett was leaning against the frame, smiling as his eyes slowly traveled up my body.

"Brett!" I exclaimed, surprised to see him. "What are you -- How did you get inside?" I raised my eyebrows at him, crossing my arms over my chest as he chuckled. The front door was locked and, last time I checked, he didn't have a key.

"The door was open," he said easily, his eyes subtly shifting to Cassie sitting on my bed. My gaze flicked to her and she smiled sheepishly.

"I forgot," she mumbled, looking at me apologetically before returning her attention back to her phone. I rolled my eyes at her and turned back to Brett.

"What are you doing here?" I asked happily. "I thought we were meeting at the game."

Brett shrugged as he pushed off the wall and walked towards me. "I wanted to see you before the game," his voice turned low as he placed his hands on my hips, his face hovering in front of mine.

"And that's my cue!" Cassie declared, rising from the bed and dramatically running out of my bedroom. She shut the door behind her with a bang, momentarily drowning out the sound of Brett's laughter.

"She's getting a bit annoyed of us, huh?" He asked, tucking my hair behind my ear.

I chewed on my lip, contemplating whether or not it was the right time to tell him about Parker. He deserved to know. Parker showing up at the game tonight unexpected would only make things worse.