Chapter 39

Justin's POV:

I was resting my head against Jason's shoulder as he rested his head against mine. My eyes were struggling to keep open and I had to fight the urge to just fall asleep. The other students stopped paying attention to us after Jason pretty much threatened them about it. I liked that he was being truthful to his word and looking out for me at school, but I still have an underlying fear of him that I don't think will ever go away. Whenever I hear him raise his tone of voice or even clench up a muscle I just think back to when he would do that to me. I think he has realized how much he damaged me and now he is trying to fix what is broken.

I was feeling my body starting to lose energy and just wanting to lay down and sleep. Just as my eyes began to close together I heard the familiar voice speak.

"Hey Justin and..." I heard being said as I opened my eyes groggily and looked up to where the voice was coming from. I smiled when my eyes met with his and tried to batter my eyes to open more. Sam was standing in front of Jason and I, except when he looked over in Jason's direction his expression changed to show distress. His eyes had gone wide and his mouth dropped open a little. At the same time I felt Jason's head rise off my shoulder and his body tense as I looked over to him. His jaw had clenched exposing his jawline, his eyes to widened, his mouth was planted shut and he just stared back to Sam.

Sam stopped speaking as soon as he looked at Jason and being in my tired state of mind I had no idea as to why.

"S-Sam, t-this i-is J-Jason," I started speaking nervously as they both broke their stare off with each other to look over to me. I sunk a little on my seat but continued on, "J-Jason t-this i-is S-Sam." They just stared at me blankly for a few moments before looking back to one another. It felt as if there was tension between the two, except they had never met before, at least not that I was aware of.

I looked back over to Jason who had now squinted his eyes as he gave Sam a look that he would give someone as a warning. Sam took a step back continuing to be locked in the stare with Jason. He gulped before opening his mouth and taking a deep breath.

"Uh I'll catch up with you later Justin," He said timidly as he turned to me and smiled small, before turning around and walking out of the lunchroom in a hurry. I furrowed my eyebrows at the weird interaction between the two but didn't think much of it as I felt extremely tired. I rested my head back against Jason shoulder as started to allow my eyes to close. Jason was still tense in his spot, but was slowly relaxing as he too went back to resting his head on mine. I decided not talk about what had happened just now, as I was far too tired and I knew that Jason would be the same.

"Hey Justin?" Jason whispered into my ear softly. I hummed in response not having the energy to talk. "Do you want to come home with me now and sleep? I can say that we're feeling sick?" He asked in a kind of pleading manner.

Now I am definitely not the type of person to ditch school. I hate missing school because I believe that education is the key to life. I loved learning and hated that I had been taking so much time off lately due to all the problems that had been caused. I knew that I was the one that begged and pleaded with Jason that come to school today and that I was the one who said school is important. But in this moment right now all of that went out the window and I could not give less care to learning as it was. I was tired and really just wanted to back and have a sleep. I get minimal sleep as it is so I knew that I had to catch up on some.

"Y-yes," I sluggishly stuttered in reply. Jason took a hold of me as he rose to his feet and picked me up into his arms. I curled myself up into a ball against his warm body and felt myself already starting to drift off. I heard faint mutters of the other students as Jason made way for his car, but I couldn't focus on what they were saying. I felt myself being placed into what I assumed to be Jason's car before I heard the sound of the engine starting up. Before not too long I had drifted off into a deep sleep.