She stared at me then at my mom who was still gaping at her.

Mom, I know she's gorgeous, but could you please stop staring at her like that... I thought as I stared at her, willing my message to get through her telepathically.

"Hey, mom..." I nudge her softly when my telepathic message didn't work.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry for staring. It's just that you look so familiar. Have we met before?"

"Oh no, ma'am. I have just started in the business world so it's quite impossible for you to meet someone like me." I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I thought I saw her stiffened a little bit. She held out her hand for a handshake. "My name is Vanessa Carter, ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine, Miss Carter. And please, call me Belle."

Instead of shaking her hand, my mother decided that it was a good idea to give Vanessa a hug.

"Well, only if you call me Vanessa."

"Deal."

The two of them smiled at each other as Nana joined in with a tray of biscuits, and tea. It's nice to see that they are already kindred spirits. Weird but still nice.

But remembering the issue at the party and her indifference for the past days, I might have a problem in the partnership department as women tend to stick to their own.

My phone suddenly rang.

Hallelujah for this reason to excuse myself in the room

I went out, eagerly if I may add, after excusing myself from them which is not really hard seeing as they didn't even acknowledge my presence.

I think they forgot that I was even at the same room.

I looked at the caller ID and frowned. It's a private number.

Strange.

I answered and placed my phone on my ear, waiting for the person on the other line to speak.

Nothing.

I waited for a few more seconds and nothing.

Silence.

I counted to a full minute before the person hang up.

Strange and Creepy.

Nonetheless I called Janus, my private investigator, to trace the name of the person registered in that number.

"You can send the papers tomorrow at my office," I said as I hang up.

I went back to the ladies just in time to see Vanessa laughed with delight. It was the first time I see her laugh.

Her green eyes shining as she listened intently in the conversation. Her head slightly falling back as she laughed.

It was genuine and unguarded. Something that definitely pulled a string at my heart and made it beat a little faster. I found myself smiling at the doorway as I stared at her.

When I looked at my watch, I noticed that it is already five and I still don't know Vanessa's choice of place to our dinner.

As much as I want to stay hidden, and just watch them interact like they've known each other their whole lives, I cleared my throat.

"I think it's time to go. We have plans," I said as I stared at my PA.

"Okay."

They all stand. Mom and Nana gave Vanessa a hug. Want to know what I got from them? An eye-stabbing glare. I feel so loved.

"It really is a pleasure talking to you, Vanessa. I hope we could see each other more often."

*****

"Your mom is so cool," She said as she slid on the passenger seat.

When we hit the road, I glanced at her and caught her trying hard not to smile.

"Why are you smiling?" I said.

She finally let out the smile she was holding as she looked at me. God, she really looked like an angel sent straight from heaven. I strained my eyes back to the road. Her face is really distracting. Her sparkling eyes, her perfect pearly white teeth, her lips that looked so kis–

Don't even go there.

She may be an angel sent from heaven, but I know she won't appreciate being sent back just because her pretty face distracted me.

"I just can't believe that your mom loves the Percy Jackson Series."

I rolled my eyes.

Ah. That's why mom is cool in her book

Another demigod-wannabe. "You like the Percy Jackson Series, too?"

"No!" She laughed as I raised an eyebrow. "I love them!"

"Is that why you're laughing so hard?" I asked, although it was meant to be a joke, her smile suddenly fade. I mentally slapped myself.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Westwood."

"No need to apologize. It's just that it was the first time I saw you laughing." I said and gave her a smile. Please smile again. "It's quite refreshing."

"Well, I don't really have good enough reason to smile in the office without looking like a crazy woman, Mr. Westwood."

"Nathaniel."

She frowned, "I beg your pardon?"

"We're not in the office, Vanessa. Just call me Nathaniel," I said in the most friendly voice manner.

Sher nodded in understanding.

Why were you laughing earlier?"

Her smile came back. Thank God, I saw the smile again.

The road, idiot. Focus on the road.

I snapped my head back to the windshield.

"I just can't believe that your mom and I are kindred spirits."

"Because you both love the same series?"

"Her enthusiasm is so out of reach. I mean I thought I was the only girl who could go ballistic and crazy about tha..."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Not that your mom is crazy," she said immediately, raising her hands in defense. "It's just so..." she thought for a moment before continuing, "like you said. Refreshing."