thirteen.

Magic was tricky. It was hard to tame, and when put in the wrong hands, it could be catastrophic. And despite the fact that Astrid was destined to be "one of the most powerful witches" in her family line, she found herself using magic less and less. Maybe it had something to do with the lack of inspiration for things she had used to feel passionate for. Or, maybe it was just magic reminded her all too much of Jasper Hale. 

He had been the one, after all, that she had gone to when she first found out that she had magical abilities. He was the one who helped teach and train her. He was the one who truly understood and was there for her, no matter what the circumstance was. And those memories just seemed all too painful for Astrid.

Damn that Jasper Hale. 

Yet, her grandmother seemed to be constantly nagging her recently, so Astrid forced herself to study the grimoire's that have been passed down through the ages in her family. The aging books and wrinkled pages had been collecting dust on the shelves in her room in the recent weeks since she came back from her grandmother's. She couldn't help but feel slightly ashamed at the fact that she was pushing away who she was and who she wanted to be. It wasn't as if she was intentionally doing it, Astrid just felt, more or less, drained. 

It had seemed that the weight of things over the past few months had built steadily on top of each other, and it was just now taking a toll on her. With Jasper and the rest of the Cullens leaving - his disappearance taking a part of Astrid with him (no matter how much she wanted to deny that a boy could have that much power over her). The arrival of werewolves in Forks and Bella being her usual, but seemingly crazier, self-added onto that weight. 

But, Astrid was determined to push through whatever funk she was in. So, studying grimoires was her next best option of pushing through and distracting her mind. The scratchy handwriting of past grandmothers and aunts from years before seemed to get worse as the giant books got older. The spells also got more tricky and complex in the older books. But, Astrid simply being Astrid, aimed for the harder spells. 

She skimmed through one of the books that her grandmother Agnes herself had written. In some places, the ink was smeared or faded, or the words were scrawled together, making them a large jumble of words. Flipping through the pages, a spell in particular caught her eye. It wasn't anything too dark or seemingly difficult, yet it piqued Astrid's interest. 

'A spell that causes whatever or whoever is in the casters way to blasted with frost-like energy'. 

Astrid raised an eyebrow at the orange that sat in front of her on the floor - the orange being there solely for practice. Skimming over the incantation, her eyes focused on the fruit that sat across from her, hands slowly raising as she murmured the spell. 

"Neuraligeo Dracicus. Neuraligeo Dracicus. Neuraligeo Dracicus." She repeated the incantation several times, her fingertips almost feeling as if they were buzzing as the power she held coursed through her. Repeating the small incantation once more, her fingers went cold as a small blast of frost shot from her hands. The blast itself held a bright emerald color, rather than blue like she had expected. Mist formed around the orange, freezing it solid right before her eyes. 

A grin formed on her lips, "Wicked." 

this was really short and AINT SHIT HAPPENED INNIT. but this is really just a filler, next chapter our astrid baby meets jake! 

ALSO (if any of yall care) heres an update on the author! life sucks currently (way more than it usually does lol). i ruptured my ear drum tuesday and my anxiety is at top peak, making me dissociate pretty badly :) never do acid kids! tbh certain parts of this chapter kinda reflect on how ive been feeling with myself and writing and just everything else in life. 

ALSO ANOTHER THING PLS READ THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

dream is literally getting no votes and ive noticed i have a looottttt of ghost readers on this, so please please PLEASE remember to vote. it does so much for me (and it also kinda boosts my ego), and it just makes it harder for me to update if u all dont vote and help me out! so please vote and maybe comment if you wanna be EXTRA nice :) thank u all everyone i love u