Flaw

Thousand Years by Christina Perri

Allen POV

The hospital smells of chlorine, and I have been staring at the Intensive Care Unit for the past three hours. The nurses and doctors keep rushing here and there, there's an old lady dozing off in the wheelchair, and Annalie's parents are sitting opposite to me.

Scarlette's mom had gone to pay the bills, and her dad just left. My back was aching after sitting down for a long time.

A hand touches my shoulder, lightly. I look up to see Emma, Anna's mom, looking down at me.

'You need to go home, dear. Your mother is in a wreck there'.

Emma is the sweetest mom ever, and I knew saying this hurts a lot. She needed all the support she can get, so that she can cope with the fact that her daughter has met with a fatal accident.

   Her daughter has met with a fatal accident.  

It still surprises me, that Anna, who was bubbling with excitment the last time I saw her, was now wrapped up in tubes and machines, that horrible machine beeping and groaning.

I got a chance to see her.  Just a glimpse, but that was enough.

She was in a plain white hospital dress, her black hair in a tight bun. There was a deep gash in her right arm, and I heard the doctors saying she is not stable.

I long for her, her green eyes, her cheeks flushed red, her long, curvy body.

I miss her so bad, that it hurts everywhere.

I get up and walk aimlessly, probably to the exit.

Its like I have no idea where I'm going, I only know that I'm going forward, forward, forward.

One kind fellow stops me and asks me if I need help. I simply nod my head. He seems to be used to dazed people, because he leads me out, offering me water on the way.

When I finally reach home, mom rushes out and hugs me. 'How is she, Allen?', is the first thing she asks, her eyes filled with concern.

I shrug and push her gently away, jogging to the house. 

I am scared that I would burst into tears if I open my mouth. Thats why I ignored my mother.

I hope she understands.

Alice was in my room, picking up my dirty clothes. Seeing me, she drops the clothes and comes towards me. Instead of drilling me with questions, she helps me get in the bed, and pulls the sheets over me.

'I am not going to ask you how, when, or where. Just go to sleep', she says, kissing my forhead, and going out, switching off the lights on the way.

I lie in the dark for a few moments, thinking about my past.

Nadine, her death, Anna, her....instability.

Is this some kind of a curse?

Will I ever have a happily ever after? I know I'm being selfish, rude and ungrateful.

I know that people will kill me if they knew what was going through my head.

But I'm a human.

A human with too many  flaws.

I look out through my bedroom window. I can see the side porch, with dad's old truck.

Flaws. Too many flaws.

I open the window slowly and crawl out.

I have too many flaws. Anna is one of them. And I intend to keep that flaw with me forever and ever.

*
*
*

I watch as Emma's eyebrows lift when she sees me. 'Didnt you go home, son?', she asks.

'I couldnt leave her', I say, looking at the ICU door in dismay.

Sydney and Blake had arrived while I was gone, and they were now sitting on the bench, Sydney staring right ahead. Blake gets up when he sees me. 'I thought you went home', he says, leaning towards the wall. 

I shake my head, suddently feeling tired. 'How's Scarlette?', I ask.

Sydney looks at me. 'She's fine. Lost a lot of blood, but she got a lot of donors. She's regained her consiousness. You can see her. Just ask the head nurse', she says in an emotionless voice.

I run to the nurse, and she directs me to a room in a secluded area of the floor.

She opens the door and gestures in. 'Dont take  too long', she warns and goes to another room.

Inside was a huge bed, with Scarlette in the same white dress like Anna's.

Scar smiles when she sees me, but her smile is strained and pained. 'Is she awake', Scar asks in a small voice.

Oh No.

I know that Scar is guilty for driving fast like that. But I dont want her to be broken.

'Anna is fine. Just like you. But she is still...sleeping', I lie.

Scarlette immediately smiles. 'Thank goodness', she murmurs,'I thought something would have happened to her. I had a feeling....'

I laugh nervously. 'She is fine, Scarlette. Dont strain yourself. You're in safe hands'.

Scar gives me a knowing smile. 'I know that, lover boy'. I roll my eyes and mock- glare at her.

We sit together in a comfortable silence until a nurse tells me that visiting time is over.

'Oh no', Scar says, 'you better see how  Anna is doing now'.

'Yeah, I will',  I say, going out of the room, guilt heavy and burning in me.

********

Thank you soo much for reading my book.

*cuddles*

HuntressOfTheHeart xoxoxoxo