Chapter 20- Making Birthday Plans

"So where would you like to go?" Tom asks, slipping on his sunglasses. We were just exiting the hotel, walking out onto the street. He had changed into jeans, a blue T-shirt, and of course, his hat and sunglasses. He could truly just fit in with the crowd... If he weren't so tall, that is. As we walk, I immediately put a foot or two between us. A bit of a habit, I suppose, when walking with him in public.

"I don't know," I respond. "Surprise me." It felt good to be outside instead of in a room all day.

"Why are you all the way over there, little one?" He asks. "I'd never forgive myself if I lost you in this big city." I feel his hand slip in mine, and I quickly pull away.

"Tom! What if someone sees us?" I whisper in a harsh tone. "They'd immediately assume-"

"What, that we're together? Let them."

I raise both my eyebrows. "Tom, it's not a good idea to be close in public. I'm sorry."

He sighs lightly. "I understand. It's alright." He decides to lighten the mood instead. "I have just the place we can go. You hungry?"

"A little, yes."

He smiles. "Good. Not too far from here."

"How many times have you been to New York?" I ask, glancing over at him.

"Ah, I'm not even sure... Many times."

I nod, continuing to look around at the buildings I see. I'm hardly paying any attention when Tom turns into a restaurant, and he pulls me in at the last minute.

We wait a moment before we are seated, and I'm surprised to see how crowded this place is. How did we even manage to get a seat? We are seated at a small booth with menus already there. I slide into the booth and Tom does the same thing on the other side. I immediately notice that Tom's legs are a little long for this booth. He has to put one leg on one side of me, and his other leg on the opposite side of me so our knees don't collide. So I'm kind of in between his legs. Oh, why did that have to sound so sexual? It's not his fault he's got long legs. He never asked for them, he just got them. And it's also not his fault we got seated at a tiny table.

"So... What's that play you wanted to go see for your birthday?" I ask, looking through the menu.

He gives me a confused look. "Hm? I told you about a play...?"

"Yeah, last night when you were almost asleep," I explain.

"Oh. I wasn't aware that I had told you. And we don't have to go if you don't want to."

"But I do want to," I insist.

"Well, alright. It's further downtown. The play is Romeo and Juliet. Have you seen it before?"

"I read it in high school," I say. "Gosh, I'm actually pretty embarrassed right now. I say I enjoy Shakespeare though I only know a few plays."

"Well there's nothing wrong with that, darling," he says, smiling gently. "And you know, I was hoping to keep that play a surprise for you."

"A surprise for me? On your birthday? I think I'm the one who's supposed to pan the surprises."

"Oh, nonsense! I already have many things planned for both tomorrow and the day after," he says.

"Holy crap," I mutter. "Is it really my birthday tomorrow?"

Tom chuckles lightly. "Yes, it is, in fact. How old are you going to be?"

"Twenty-nine," I reply.

"Gosh, you're getting old," he teases, grinning.

I laugh. "I'm getting old? Says the one who will be thirty-three in two days!"