“Now, Kayden will be home in a minute,” he said before exiting the room.

 I sighed and stood up. I walked over to the mirror to fix the brokenness of my face. However, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t fix the brokenness inside by looking in the mirror. That would stay for a while.

 Before I finished brushing my hair, the school bus honked out front. I took in a deep breath and put a smile on my face. I wanted to be happy for my little girl and thought of Kayden telling me everything that happened at school lifted my mood. I left my bedroom and met Anthony in the kitchen. I glanced out the window in time to see Kayden fly off the bus and sprint into the house. I waved at the bus driver through the window as Kayden came plowing through the door.

 I walked over and helped her out of her jacket and placed her backpack down by the door. I looked at my little bug as her face lit up. She jumped into my arms and I kissed her forehead, extremely happy that she was here, considering I didn’t know how much longer I had with her.

 “Mommy, I rode the little bus today,” she exclaimed. Her eyes were bright with excitement and her blonder ringlets had fallen in her ponytail. I couldn’t help but smile as Anthony and I exchanged glances. It was crazy how little kids thought. And it was crazy how the littlest things could brighten a child’s day.

 “Did you?” I laughed. Kayden nodded her head vigorously before jumping out of my arms and running over to Anthony. He smiled down at her and ran his hand over her nappy hair. Kayden put her arms up, demanding that she be picked up, which Anthony reluctantly took. He kissed her cheek and carried her into the living room where he sat her down and turned on the television. He spoiled her and I admired him for that. I couldn’t because I was her mother, but someone should. She didn’t have any grandparents that would, so she had Anthony.

 “Would you like some chocolate milk, princess?” he asked. Kayden’s face lit up and she jumped up, nodding her head. I laughed. I didn’t realize until that moment just how amazing Anthony was to my daughter. I didn’t realize until that moment how lucky I was to have him. I didn’t realize until that moment that he was what I wanted to complete my life, my world.

 “Blake, get out of here, now,” I demanded.

 Blake was standing on my front porch demanding to see his daughter. I declined, telling him that he had no right. He then, of course, brought up my whole arrestment situation, which he still did not know that I knew.

 He stood in front of me, planted to the ground, arms crossed showing off just enough definition through his shirt. His blonde hair cascaded across his face, falling just in front of the eyes, the way I had fallen for back in college. However, I was over it, over him and there was no way I was letting him get a day with my daughter.

 “She’s mine too, you know,” he spat. I was disgusted as a little bit of saliv flew to my lips. I immediately lifted my hand to wipe it off, making sure to keep myself covered with my robe. It was too early to be dealing with this. I didn’t care if he wanted to take her to the zoo, she was mine and she wasn’t going anywhere, especially with him.

 “I know good and well, Blake, you don’t have to remind me,” I hissed. I started to shut the door but he put his hand out to stop it. The door wasn’t budging.

 “Let me have one day with her, or I’ll bring it up in trial. You have no right to deny my visitation and if I brought it up, then guess who would be in trouble,” he smirked. My heart stopped beating for a split second. Anger surged through my body, rippling over every vein and nerve, threatening to devour any patience I had.