20 ➺ DEAL WITH THE (SHE)DEVIL

Start from the beginning

Genevieve didn't make loving her easy, but it was moments like these and the ones back at the hospital that made the struggle worth it.

"Let's make a deal then, shall we? I'm aware that all... this", Lucifer started, waving his finger between himself and the queen, referring to the relationship and the tension in the air, "isn't that easy for you. But if you, at the very least, pretend to be head over heels in love with me and show off how happy our marriage is, you can stay here with me. And get all the perks of being my wife, of course." The man broke into a grin eventually, and nodding at the deal, Genevieve thought about it. Well, he was right — she wasn't very good at emotions or loving people, but she was rather talented when it came to lying and faking. However, she did care about Lucifer, so it didn't sound impossible.

"And why exactly do you wish for me to do this?", Ginny then wondered, although she had a pretty good idea formed in her mind. It could have been something for his work at the LAPD, but Genevieve had a hunch it had something to do with the recently poisoned Detective Decker. There weren't that many people Lucifer cared about, but it seemed Chloe was one of them, and after she had barely dodged death, something had changed in Lucifer — he was almost scared for his partner, which explained the avoiding he was trying to deny every time it was brought up.

"I simply want to protect the detective. She believes the whole Devil thing isn't true, so she also has no idea what kind of danger it could put her in. Therefore, if I'm married, at least our relationship will remain professional. And, you can talk to my Mum and insist you're a changed woman. Hopefully, she'll reveal something worthy of my knowledge", Lucifer elaborated, causing Genevieve to lift an eyebrow. Frankly, she strongly disliked the thought of Lucifer and Chloe's relationship being anything but professional, so she was ready to make sure it stayed that way. "Then there's the fact that I also happen to truly care about you, Gen", Lucifer added with a mumble, and Genevieve wasn't sure if she was referring to the whole marriage part or giving her a home, but she forgot to care as the man leaned closer and cupped her cheek softly.

Carefully, Lucifer then leaned in for a kiss, and Ginny inhaled deeply — perhaps Linda was right. Perhaps home wasn't a place, but a person. Because as she sat there, inhaling Lucifer's scent, feeling his warm body against hers and hearing his sweet whispers, it felt like something else. Safe, warm, soft and comfortable. Like home.

However, before Lucifer could kiss Genevieve, the queen pulled away and spoke up again, leaving the man hanging with his lips untouched. "Very well, but I need something else too. Something far more important", she returned to the matter of their deal, earning a sigh from Lucifer who leaned back and accepted the reality — she wasn't going to give him the kiss he had went for.

"Something more important than a roof over your head?", he pointed out, but instead of returning the sass, Genevieve simply nodded.

"Someone has my dagger", the Shedevil responded with a serious look on her face, and with equal solemnity, Lucifer faced his wife as shades of fear painted over his features. Continuing, Genevieve sighed, "Someone has the ability to kill me, Luci."

And well, what kind of a husband would he be if he didn't promise to help his wife avoid grim death?

—————

    GENEVIEVE WAS STARING down at the massive diamond ring on her finger in disbelief — she had never had one, but she was already having mixed feelings about it. She loved knowing that she was the only woman for Lucifer from now on, and she loved having him wrapped around her finger — it felt like she was officially his wife now that there was a ring to prove so. However, Genevieve had never been one to enjoy being tied down, or owned, and she kind of felt like that now.