Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11:

Merrick:

How could I have not forgiven her? This life is hard to get used to. I went through years of emotional training. All she's ever known is family and her own biological father was taking it away from her. I had to find something to cheer her up, to get things off her mind, so why not a walk in the woods? It was dangerous but she was right. How could ask her to trust me if I didn't even trust myself? Yes I trusted myself, but I needed her to know that.

I finished packing some food and drinks then went to the closet to grab a few blankets. I told Kairyn to pack light because hiking in Montana was rough. The place I planned to take her was a deep valley that held the most amazing view of the stars; at least it would be some form of being home.

I walk to the kitchen and place the weapons code into the oven's keypad. The oven opened and a steel elevator drew up from underneath. Pistols and knives lay out in an organized pattern on cushioned mats. I pulled out a 9 mm ruger and then a glock and placed them in their own slots on my shoulder holster. I then grabbed a Smith and Weston knife and placed it in its sheath.

I retyped the code and the weapons were drawn back down into the weapon pit. I put on a small jacket and then headed to Kairyn's room. I could hear her gathering things as I neared her bedroom and I quieted. Every step I took reminded me of a lion stalking its prey. As I approached her door I stopped. She was singing, and it was beautiful. I peeked around the corner and watched her pack her small bag. Her voice rang through my ears like a lullaby and I immediately became relaxed. She moved through the chorus of the song and turned around. She jumped when she saw me and her voice cut off. "You have a beautiful voice." I grinned at her. Her hair was in a French braid that swung around her neck and down to her the middle of her upper arm.

"Thank you." She blushed and turned around to finish packing.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes, just about. Do you by chance have any extra blankets?" I nodded in return. "Great! It may get cold."

"I also packed some snacks. Oh, and here." I pulled out a pocket knife and handed it to her. When her eyes grew wide, I took her right hand and place the small knife in her palm. "Because I do trust you," she gave me a smile, "and for other safety reasons." She clasped the knife in her petite hands then placed it in her right front pocket.

"Thank you." She replied.

"Just don't use it on me." I answered her, half serious, half joking.

She glared with a smile. "Just don't give me a reason to."

I smiled then crossed my heart. A moment of silence came afterwards, "We should get going if we don't want to be to too late."

"I'm ready."

"Then, let's head out." I smiled and motioned for her to leave the room first. We walked down a few hallways, then down a flight of stairs to the back door. She went to open the door but I quickly reached out to grab her wrist. "Sorry, the alarm." I half smiled. I moved in front of the keypad and typed in the code quick. The alarm beeped but I turned to her before I opened the door. "Before we go out, I need to set some rules."

"Okay." Kairyn's eyebrows lifted.

"You are to stay close to my side. We are in Montana, and there are bears, wolves, cougars," I raised my eyebrows to remind her of the incident at the other safe house, "and other unfriendly creatures out there. Do not leave my side, okay?" She nodded. "Second, we have to be back to the house in exactly two hours. I have to call the agency and let them know how things are going."