C H A P T E R T W E N T Y O N E

Start from the beginning

"Cut the ropes!" He demanded and looked down on the snow plowed soil before shuddering in disgust. "And someone pick up their fingers from the ground!"

Adelaide fiddled with the fur lining on her king's red wool cape, wrapping it around herself up until it came to her nose. She'd been quiet throughout the whole ordeal. Staying as silent as a mouse, hiding under the covers as her beast called for Barin and his soldiers to drag the three guards as they scuffled from the restraints whilst he himself hauled the one in his possession, leaving droplets of blood that came from the poor boy's cheeks.

She sighed. Everyone seems to be getting punished today, and it was all her fault. This single thought had her form deflating in apparent guilt, knowing that they were receiving a far more harsh treatment compared to the one she'd endured. She had been slightly hurt by what the guard has said, this she'll not deny. It had honestly made her think of what else Xerxes' people thought of her. Did everyone see her as a common whore as the boy guard did? Was she just someone that fulfilled their king's needs with? Do they only see her as a mere object like she's always felt like she's been? Those are questions that are better left unanswered, she later decided.

But she'll apologize on their behalf, she'll bargain with Xerxes to not hurt them anymore, and discipline her further instead because she is blameworthy. Yes, that's what she'll do, she opted with a determined nod.

The large doors opened to reveal her king, only in his breeches whilst his upper torso was free for the world to see, and the splatters of red liquid just simply made him all the more dangerously captivating. Shaking herself out of her stupor, she stood up to greet him but with legs like a newborn fawn, she stumbled and tripped on her own two feet, yelping as she ungracefully fell on the floor with a loud thud.

"Adelaide!" Xerxes was quick to be at her side, pulling her to his arms and on his lap, eyes searching for injuries as his hands frantically touched any part of her body that could've been damaged by the fall.

The gift disentangled her head from the heavy fabric, huffing a breath once she's met with fresh air before smiling up at her worried king. "I'm alright. I think it was a bad idea to coil myself around this one though."

Xerxes' thundering heartbeat slowly went back to its normal pace, his irises turning to a beautiful shade of blue from its previous anxious gold as a sigh left him, but he effortfully put on a tired smile for his treasure. "My clumsy, clumsy little love," he pressed a kiss on her brow, "are you trying to send me to an early grave?"

"I would never!" She exclaimed, aghast.

"I only jest, my queen." He chuckled and combed his fingers through her silky brown autumn leaf like hair.

"Well, it is not a good joke." She grumbled with a small pout. Xerxes eased a thumb over her jutting lip, leaning in to place a firm kiss. It took a second for Adelaide to respond, but when she did she had immediately, almost instinctively, wrapped her arms around his neck, opening her mouth to have her wet tongue be met by his. She didn't fight him, both already knowing who was the more dominant of the two when it came to not only in intimacy but in everything.

She let out a soft moan and pulled back for a breath. Xerxes in the meantime busied himself with her jaw and her neck, occasionally releasing a growl when she would lightly pull at the hairs on his nape. And then she suddenly remembered what she was meant to be doing.

"My king," she begun and gasped when Xerxes grabbed ahold of her hips and started to grind himself on her, "may I ask a favor?"

The beast king hummed. "Hm, and what is this that my queen wants? You know that I would do and give anything for you,"

Her face lit up like a lone star in the night sky with his statement, and was about to say of her desire to free the men when he continued to speak.

"as long as it is approved of my acceptance, of course. Now, what is it that you wish for?" He queried and massaged her still sore ass but soon stopped his ministrations when he received no answer from his Dela.

"My sweet? What is it that you want?"

She murmured something he couldn't decipher. "Speak up, my little love."

"I don't want them to hurt anymore." She mumbled numbly, eyes focused anywhere but to him.

Xerxes' eyes significantly darkened, understanding whom his queen was referring to. He tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear. "They do not deserve your kindness."

"And they do not deserve to be treated like they're worth nothing."

The king, too stunned to reply, kept his mouth shut.

"They've left their post, I understand your fury at their disobedience, but it is ultimately my own fault. I didn't listen to you like I should have and I swear I'll never do it again," her eyes welled up with emotion, "just please, I don't want someone to suffer because of my stupidity."

The beast king almost whined at the vulnerable look that his little love gave him. She look so.. distraught. And it was something that he'd never wish to see on her beautiful face again.

"Hush now, my queen." He cupped her face and gently rubbed his nose against hers. "This is not your fault. This would've all been avoided if they'd conscientiously done their duty. And one of them had spoken out of turn, and that is not acceptable to me, nor my beast. Someone was supposed to watch over you in my stead."

"But there was."

Her unexpected answer had Xerxes sit rigidly. "What are you talking about, my sweet?"

"There was someone with me, inside this room."

-

-

I N L O V I N G M E M O R Y

C H E S T E R B E N N I N G T O N
1 9 7 6 - 2 0 1 7

" t h e h a r d e s t p a r t o f e n d i n g i s s t a r t i n g a g a i n "

o f e n d i n g i s
s t a r t i n g a g a i n "

- w a i t i n g f o r t h e e n d